Anyone gotten their rebate yet ??? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 8th, 2004, 09:57 PM   #31
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Evan Kubota : Got my rebate today. They received my information on March 31st, so it took slightly over 2 months. To all those who said I wouldn't get it after buying from US1Camera, you were wrong. I saved quite a bit of money, and can recommend them for buying a GL2. -->>>

Congratulations on your purchase, good for you and the money you saved!

Understand one thing however, stores like this that undercut everyone and sell items at 5% above cost or in some cases less, annoy the company and other vendors. These outlets see making 50 dollars on a box as profit knowing that they don't havce to deal with you the end user after the purchase or help you with your problems. Call them for help on something and see where the low price gets you.

I"m a former retailer, I worked for one of the largest Music Industry stores in the southeast that later grew beyond it's means and went bankrupt. We had major issues with "box houses" that sold everything and anything on their mail order lines for 5% on cost plus shipping.

Again, I applaud your for your confidence however in the future look at this, http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2898.html and choose wisely before you give away your money.

One final thought, I purchase all my gear from Normancamera, I paid more than I could have paid at several other "reputable" box houses that I know are legit and would have allowed me a rebate. Here however is why, I was able to call them many times and confirm that I was doing the right thing. That my new equipment was the best for my needs. They held my hands, Chris Norman and I spoke several times on the phone and email and this out of the way effort that you can only get from a "brick and mortar" outlet when you're actually live and in the store is what set them aside.

I could have been a wanker and gotten all the info from them and purchased elsewhere for less, but then I would have been no better than the guys that used to come into my store and play a guitar for a week or a month or even a year or a keyboard and then order it from NY, then expect me to show them how to use it in my store. Let me tell you that didn't happen and I wasn't going to do it to norms. Just food for thought next time you're dealing with a salesperson, they're working for you on that deal and they are couting on their family eating and having a roof over their heads, if they go out of their way, atleast give them the deal, they probaly deserve it.

Miguel
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:48 AM   #32
Regular Crew

I bought my GL2 back in January, sent all of the requisite thingys in. No response. Last month I resent the info along with a nastygram. Two days ago a nice check showed up from Canon with a "thanks for buying a GL2".

I never recieved any information suggesting I had been "approved" for the rebate, just the check. It's interesting that different folks have recieved checks in different forms and from different places. Suggests perhaps that Canon had some problems with their rebate folks.

For everyone who <hasn't> received their postcard, priority mail envelope or plain old check, it's time to play Squeaky the Wheel.
Roger Golub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Hi -- As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I found that calling Canon directly produced almost instant results. If you've been waiting too long for your rebate, call Canon -- don't call the rebate company.
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #34
New Boot

I sent my request for rebate in at the end of January and received my rebate mailed in an envelope this week.
Rebecca Condon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 04:12 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Bought a XL1S May 18th --- sent the rebate to Canon on May 26th and we got the rebate check back from Canon on June 8th. The rebate check is dated June 3rd.

Thirteen days to process and receive the rebate seems like unusually excellent service.

The $500 rebate check was delivered in post card form and could have easily been mistaken for junk mail. Especially since about 95% of all mail we receive is of junk mail nature which isn't really Canon's fault. [G]
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:10 AM   #36
Regular Crew

"Again, I applaud your for your confidence however in the future look at this, http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2898.html and choose wisely before you give away your money."

I'm very familiar with ResellerRatings.com. Actually, when I ordered from them, US1Camera had a higher rating. There are several reseller rating websites, also, and in my fairly extensive research I found that ratings varied widely. For example, Abe's of Maine appeared to be highly reputable. However, after calling them and looking at several websites, it appears that even they engage in bait and switch tactics.

US1Camera got the sale specifically because they clearly stated on the site that the camera was sealed, new with USA warranty. This is what I ordered and that's exactly what I got. With a credit card purchase, I didn't feel afraid that I would get ripped off - I would have been able to easily cancel payment had anything gone wrong and the company refused to be reasonable or upfront.

Again, the package arrived within a week in a sealed box, and everything was as I ordered. No overpriced accessories or anything.

I have to admit, I'm skeptical of your implication that there's something unethical or unjust about buying from the place with the lowest price. I also play guitar, and I know vaguely what you're talking about with the music retail industry. Walk-in shops always have higher prices because they have higher overhead. Nevertheless, as the consumer, I don't really see much benefit from these brick-and-mortar increased overhead stores - other than higher prices. Frankly, the service I have received in my many transactions with "real" music stores has been no better, and in many cases worse, than my experiences with places such as Musicians' Friend.

If an online store is fraudulent or deceptive, as many are (Royal Camera, et al.), then obviously I can't recommend ordering anything from them. Supporting evil, malicious, or disreputable retailers is not my intent.

However, when a website clearly states the item is new with USA warranty, the transaction goes smoothly, and I get one of the best prices that is available, I can't find much else to ask.

I did all my research prior to buying anything, and I didn't have any need to ask recommendations from the salesman. It's just like buying a car - I wouldn't walk in to the dealership and ask the salesman which model to get. It's easier to compare specs, etc. from home then arrive well-informed and ready to buy.

Furthermore, I had already used a friend's GL2 and knew exactly what I was looking for.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just don't understand your suggestion that something is unfair or out of whack about buying from a valuepriced online retailer. Frankly, a lot of video and camera equipment places are sleazy joints based in Brooklyn or Queens. I have no idea what the physical headquarters of US1Camera look like, but I can't complain about the results. That seems to be worth my money.
Evan Kubota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:40 AM   #37
Major Player

I had a number of problems with the company handling the Canon rebates on their still cameras. Same company as for the GL2 (rebateHQ is in Florida but is owned by a company called Parago in Texas). I finally complained to Canon and the BBB and between the two of them managed to get a rebate out of the company.

The amount of time it is taking is absolutely absurd and I think it puts Canon in a bad light. They may not handle their own rebates but they choose the company that does. The Canon rebates were, BY FAR, the slowest to be issued of any rebate I ever had.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Personally I detest the entire "rebate marketing-ploy games".

The slowest and worst rebate experiences I've ever had were the innumerable times I carefully submitted rebate forms and never got anything. I get the feeling that this is not an uncommon experience.

Canon's rebate services seem to vary wildly, from extremely poor to extremely fast. We were lucky to recently get the extremely extra fast rebate service!

We did mail the rebate form by certified mail, but I'm not sure if that really made any difference at all...

Canon rebates are clearly a situation of: YMMV?
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:33 PM   #39
Regular Crew

yes..

I jut got an email from Canon saying they recieved my rebate and its in prosessing.
I purchased my GL2 May 31. And just recieved an email saying its being processed, June 22. So I should recieve it soon. I hope ;-)
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:25 PM   #40
Major Player

Re: yes..

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Galliford : I jut got an email from Canon saying they recieved my rebate and its in prosessing.
I purchased my GL2 May 31. And just recieved an email saying its being processed, June 22. So I should recieve it soon. I hope ;-) -->>>

Allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery... After that call and threaten them!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:28 PM   #41
New Boot

Just thought id drop in my own experience with the GL2 rebate saga.

Ordered a gl2 in october of 2003 ...sent in all the rebate information. Checked my email and it showed that they had received my info and that the check was being processed. Waited about 3 or 4 months and never received it. So I called Canon, told them the deal, they were extremely nice and said they would look in to the situation. 2 weeks later, a $250 check arrived in the mail.

Ordered another gl2 in december of 2003. the exact same process happened again. Sent everything in, email said my rebate was being processed. waited a good 4 months, called Canon, they said they'd look in to it, 2 weeks later, check arrived in the mail.

To me ..it kind of seems like ...they dont send the checks, hoping that the buyer will either forget, or just give up. But as soon as a buyer calls and lets canon know that they are upset, then they go ahead and send out the check.

anyhoo, hope this gives some of you guys a glimmer of hope in receiving your rebates.

c.

PS, I am aware that canon does not handle the rebates, that they contract others to do it. I just didnt mention that, because ...i was lazy ....*shrug*
Chris Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:08 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Fast turnaround

I semt my rebate form in on June 3 and received the check on June 19.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:08 PM   #43
Old Boot

STOP WITH the "I Aint got my Rebate!"

We DON'T get rebates in UK .. so think yourselves lucky!! - We could wait till Hell itself freezed over . . . we would not get any rebate .. EVER! - So stop winge-ing .. if that's how you spell it .. .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:19 PM   #44
Major Player

Graham, you've got a deal as long as everyone in Europe agrees to never bring up again that PAL is better than NTSC.

We DON'T get PAL in USA. so think yourself lucky!! - We could wait till Hell itself freezed over . . . we would not get 20% more resolution or a 4:2:0 colorspace .. EVER!

:)

-Luis

PS.
Well, actually....if the new XL is HDV then I guess we could get more than 20% more resolution, and 4:2:0 colorsampling.

But I promise I will never complain about a rebate again.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:46 PM   #45
Old Boot

Sour Gripes!

One is science . . . the other is money . . . Why Shouldn't I mention the fact that PAL is better? It is GREAT! It produces the BEST! We got film look . .we don't need to do the film look thing here . . It produces everything I see in 625 lines on TVs .. 25 frames in videoing .. . very clear and organic colours . . Why didn't you lot adopt our system instead of NTSC? - It's not OUR fault?

. . . HAH! Now THAT was worth $250 - NOT!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders