Need input on the DM-50 Directional Mic - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 24th, 2003, 12:17 PM   #31
New Boot

I think the ecm-ms957 is the updated version of ecm-s959c with some little difference.
In the 959 type, there isn't the mid side feature and the cannon plug in but for the other i think it's pretty the same.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:27 PM   #32
Major Player

Furry mic muff for DM-50?

Anyone know if there is one?
Joe Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:30 AM   #33
Major Player

I don't think so.

Ask the folks at www.mikemuff.com if they can make you one. They seem to be coming on fast and strong; although the item is not in their list, they might be interested.

Better yet, maybe one of their existing models will fit well enough to be useful. They have three models so far, with five more coming. The current models are a mere $40.

I should also mention www.lightwavesystems.com. They have nothing specifically designed for the DM-50 but there are some products that might fit, like the Miniscreen. Light Wave products are extremely expensive. The Canon GL2 EQ-GL is $150 compared to MikeMuff's $40.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #34
Major Player

Anybody ever go to Walmart get the faux fur and make their own mic cover?
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:09 AM   #35
Regular Crew

How good or bad is the Canon dm-50?

Looking for some information on the Canon dm-50 shotgun mic. Anyone out there with any thoughts? I shoot outdoor videos, fishing, hunting, hiking etc. The price seems pretty reasonable but what about the quality? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:23 AM   #36
Regular Crew

One other question: can the dm-50 be used without the powered shoe mount ( If I already am using the MA300 which has a shotgun mic holder)?
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:19 AM   #37
Outer Circle

I've used it. I think it's pretty good, for the the money.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #38
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Forge : One other question: can the dm-50 be used without the powered shoe mount ( If I already am using the MA300 which has a shotgun mic holder)? -->>>

I don't think the dm-50 will work without the smart shoe on the GL2 or ZR-50, ZR-70, etc. Talking with Brian at Zotz Digital, he recommends the Schriber 568 over the DM-50. With a shock mount, you are $5 more than the DM-50. This should give you much better sound than the DM-50. This can also be used on any camera with a 3.5mm mic input and a hotshot physical mount. My only question is to get this or spend a little more for a better mic.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #39
Regular Crew

A Vote For the DM-50

I shoot opera's using the DM-50 and my clients like the sound.

But I haven't used other microphones so I can't make a direct comparison.

The advantages of the DM-50 as I see it:

- It's STEREO. At Digital Verite' they have played my stuff over a projector system with a really good amp and speakers. The stereo picture is amazing. You can hear the shape of the room. That person that coughed? You know exactly where he was sitting.

- It's convenient and safe. Stick it in the hotshoe and forget it. I don't monitor sound, and I have never failed to get good results. It uses the camera's automatic level controls so you can't screw up and set the wrong levelsl, or turn it off by mistake. It won't come unplugged. (In fact in the GL2 it takes a real strong pull to get the thing out of the hot shoe.)

- It does a good job on acoustic instruments and voice (operas, remember). If the sound is good from where you are shooting from, it will sound good on the tape. It is reasonably directional, so it doesn't magnify my shuffling about, coughs and handling noise.

I doubt if it is perfect, but it is some of the best money I have spent.

-Tom-
Tom Voigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:16 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Thanks Tom! For the money I might give it a try. One other question- If I use the dm50 in the hot shoe can I still use an xlr adaptor (beachtek) for my lavaliers? Can I still use 2 wireless lavaliers in addition to the shotgun? Or do I have to disconnect the shotgun from the hot shoe?

Thanks
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:32 AM   #41
Obstreperous Rex

The *only* way the DM-50 works, is through the electrical contacts in the advanced accessory shoe.

The GL2 is limited to two channels of live audio recording, so you'll have to choose either the DM-50 via hot shoe, or your Beachtek XLR adapter via the red 1/8" stereo mini plug on the side of the GL2.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Do you have DM-50?

A question for you who use Canon microphone DM-50.

Do you like it?

How much better is it compared to the camcordermic.?

PLease tell me your experience with DM-50, because I wonder if I shall buy it.
Old September 18th, 2003, 07:05 PM   #43
Regular Crew

I Just got one. Not bad, but hey, its cheap, and its better than whats onboard if your on a budget. Nice though...
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2003, 11:48 PM   #44
Regular Crew

tell me more

Please tell me more when you have tested it thoroughly.

Is it much better than the camcorder mic?

For instance, when it is windy, how do DM-50 handle it?
Old September 22nd, 2003, 12:16 AM   #45
Tourist

It's pretty decent. It handles the wind better than the onboard mic, but it will stick pick it up. Plus you have 3 modes to choose from -- the shotgun, stereo 1 and stereo 2. Like the previous post mentioned, it's a good value. It uses the hot shoe so there are no wires to deal with. Otherwise, youd have to find a mic that uses the mic jack, or use an XLR adapter which i think costs more than the DM-50 itself.
Andrew Fu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders