Defective GL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 29th, 2004, 06:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Defective GL2!!

Today, my GL2 finally arrived... and now I have to send it in for repair!

The unit was brand new, but somehow managed to have dirty heads already. After about 10 seconds of recording, I got the error message, and sure enough, the resulting video is covered in thick grey lines. The tapes I used were not brand new but work just fine in my other two cameras.

Has anyone else had this problem?!
Chris Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Chris,

Don't think it's THAT uncommon to have to clean the heads shortly after receiving a new cam. I'd use a new cleaning tape, follow the recommend procedures and give it another shot before sending it off anywhere.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #3
Trustee

And to keep your heads clean, always use a new tape. Don't try to record on a used one.
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #4
Major Player

Chris: The same scenario with me and my GL2. I got the big red message after only recording for a short time. After research on this I found out that a lot of people think it's programmed to do that at the start. I don't know that I agree with that, but I can tell you that I don't run a cleaner until I see evidence on the recording, and with my GL2, I haven't needed to. It has been capturing perfectly since I first got it, even after that message.

,Frank
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

My camera actually did affect the recorded image when it said it had dirty heads. However, after an hour or so the camera returned to normal operation, no errors and no problems recording and playing back tapes. This was shortly after I put in a DV tape that I had blacked, rather than one I had recorded on. Anyway, I blame the tapes, because all of them have been recorded way too many times and need to be replaced. I'll go buy some new tapes and hope all goes well :)
Chris Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 07:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Chris: That would be good. Also, I'm pretty sure you already know, but I want to mention to stay with the same brand. (Although not as easy to find as the Panasonic and Sony tapes, I use Fuji.)
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:08 AM   #7
Major Player

Fuji Tapes

Frank,

after reading the problems with different tapes etc I found a good supplier here in the UK for the Fuji and have decided to stick to that make. Doubt it would be cost effective for you though.
If you want there web site let me know.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I totally agree with You. I am also using only Fuji tapes and no problems at all (knock,knock).
Darko Flajpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #9
Trustee

I've had this message with new cameras, too.
Wonder what's up.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:30 AM   #10
Major Player

Alan: Fortunately, there's a place nearby that sells Fuji tapes. Up until I found out about that, I was ordering from B&H. Thanks for the info, though.
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #11
Regular Crew

snap, i got that message when my camera was new too. I ignored it and it went away. Fortunatley in my case there was no visible evidence of dirty heads on playback. However i did read up in the manual and was about to buy a head cleaning tape and follow cannons recomendation for cleaning the heads after around 20 hours use. Rather than grey areas cannon say in the manual that dirty heads cause mosaic like colour noise or a blue screen with message. However someone else suggested that most manufacturers would like us to use them cleaning tapes every 20 hours as they ware down the heads and force us into buying a new machine or paying them for new heads. And his advice was to refrain from head cleaning until it is absolutely nessecary.
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:05 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Not every time but almost every time I put in a new tape I get the same message. "DIRTY HEADS" I usally run the cleaner one time for 5 secs. I wonder how my old analog Sony worked good for so many years? I did not baby it like my Canon. My boys did not get treated as good as my Canon GL2 does. By the way my wife still uses that old Sony and takes great footage yet.

Steve
Steve Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #13
Major Player

Steve: I have gotten this message a few times as well, but have never had evidence (blocky footage, etc) of dirty heads. I say to only clean it when that happens, since the head cleaning cassette is abrasive to the heads.

Hope this helps!

,Frank
Old April 19th, 2004, 06:35 PM   #14
Major Player

We have been using 2 GL2s professionally for 2 years. On one occasion, one camera reported the dreaded dirty heads message. Took the tape out, put it back in and never saw that message again. I questioned a Canon technician about that incident and he said that just a small particle of dirt or even a hair could trigger that error message.

It's been mentioned a thousand times but always use new tapes for important recordings, ALWAYS stick with one quality brand tape and try to avoid using those tape cleaners. Just my 2 cents.

Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders