Waterproof Housing for GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 17th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Waterproof Housing for GL2

I live in SE Alaska and do a lot of shooting in extraordinarily wet situations. I have a Kata cover for it, which is great in the rain, but I'm looking to step up to a higher level of moisture protection. I'd especially like something that would allow me to kayak with the camera, something I'm most hesitant to do at the moment.

While I don't plan on using for any underwater shots, I've been looking at some diving housings for the camera. They are all moderately expensive and moderately annoying to use.

Any specific ideas?
Roger Golub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I know they have zipper like freezer type kind of bags for cameras. They can only go about 10ft underwater and are very cheap...like $60. Something like these

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005JG1L/ref=ase_magicsurfbusth05/104-1663185-7988745?v=glance&s=photo

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/erol.html
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2004, 09:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Excellent!

Looks just about perfect. Not entirely sure how you get to the controls, but for the price, it's worth a shot (pun intended). Thanks.
Old April 19th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #4

joe, have you used one of those before? the reason i ask is that the pics in both links look like the bags would be a little small for a gl2... are they?
Old April 19th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

never used one, and yes, they are samll for a GL2. Although, my post was to inform that these types of products DO exist. You may want to call the manufacturer or further google your way to an alternative.

Regards,
Old April 19th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #6
Major Player

another way

Roger,
I use a Kata cover and a large golf style umbrella with a modified pole that I can stick in the ground.

The pole is long enough to stand under and have your camera on a tripod.

I've found that even if it's raining I can still keep on shooting unless the wind is blowing the rain sideways.
Old April 19th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Sounds great! Not sure how to use an umbrella on a kayak.... Have to think about this one for a bit.
Old April 19th, 2004, 05:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

lol

If you do plan on getting an underwater housing...buy the Ikelite one. I have several Ikelite Housings and the owner (Ike) is whom I mostly deal with online. As I write this to you, he just had emailed me to see how my housings were doing (its been a year since I bought my last housing). No problems here Ike. For the hell of it, he is shipping me O rings for free for my housings. WOW. Ikelite's service is that of family
Old April 19th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I looked at the web site. They're quite nice looking. A bit expensive (especially since you're supposed to use the wide angle lens).

I'm not looking to go underwater, just at the surface.

Maybe if my girlfriend stops peering into the camera bag for a while....
Roger Golub is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders