GL2 vs XL1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 27th, 2002, 04:20 PM   #1
Trustee

GL2 vs XL1?

Hey all. As the self confessed "Man who researches cameras and never buys one" (yet) I have some questions. I had actually decided to get the old XL1 as it's bang for buck sat right with me and was currently looking around to find a good priced one (Can't get them new), but after perusing the specs on the GL2 it seems that it is pretty much an xl1 in all aspects apart from the interchangeable lenses and the actual shape of the cam. It has the presets like the XL1, all the manual setup stuff, 16:9 bars, 5 levels of IRE (Didn't the xl1 only have 3?) analog->dv, Adjustable audio levels, DV control (Did the xl1 have that at all??),

For those who know more about all these cameras that me, am I thinking right here? If someone didn't want the interchangeable lenses, and the "look" of the camera, is the Gl2 a better bet? After all the xl1 is about 4 years old now.

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2002, 06:02 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Umm, be careful here Aaron, let's make sure what we're talking about... you're mentioning the XL1 and that's nowhere near the same thing... the XL1S is an entirely different camera on the inside than the XL1. The GL2 has more in common with the XL1S and hardly anything at all in comparison to the XL1. The older XL1 is nowhere near up to scratch to a GL2. The GL2 will be a much better, far superior camera than the XL1 in terms of image quality and feature sets, and at the same time the GL2 is nearly on par with the XL1S. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2002, 07:33 PM   #3
Trustee

Hey Chris. Yeah I was trying to compare the GL2 to the old XL1, not the XL1s. From what you said you really think that the GL2 is much better than the XL1 and nearly as good as the XL1s. Well that's put a whole new light on things for me. To be honest I don't like the form factor of the gl1 and 2, they seem "consumeresque". But calculating the costs of both the XL1s and the GL2 then, there is about a $2000 (US$1000) price difference (Although I have yet to confirm the price in New Zealand dollars for the GL2) So I might just have to bite the bullet on the form factor thing. Well, back to research for me then.

Thanks for your input - much appreciated.
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2002, 09:04 PM   #4
Trustee

Aaron,

The new GL2/XM2 appears to have many more feature the original XL1 doesn't and it looks like a fantastic camera but you have to remember that there's almost 5 years difference between the two. I myself am seriously concidering adding the XM2 to my kit as a second camera.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2002, 08:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Adrian,

What's your first camera?

Ron
Ron Stoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2002, 09:38 AM   #6
Trustee

I've got the original XL1, and love it. However, for snowboarding and surf water footage it's a bit large. The new GL or XM as I will get, is the perfect size to put in a waterproof housing, and easier to manage on a snowboard.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2002, 10:28 AM   #7
Trustee

I think you're spot-on in your thinking Adrian. I bought a glidecame v8 last year...and I find it's much easier to use with my gl1 than the xl1s...Less bulk, and no need for an external monitor...so I'll probably look at the gl2 as well. Although, I have to say the upcoming panasonic 24p is still hovering in my view as well.
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2002, 09:33 AM   #8
Trustee

I'm totally over the Panasonic. From what I've heard here are from some others it sounds like it's just a gimmic. It would be nice to have 24p but without manual focus, a LANC terminal and one or two other necessary things it just won't cut the mustard. I've been shooting on Canon for the last 10 years, stills and video, and I think I'll be sticking with them.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders