Is this worth it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Is this worth it?

I sent my Xm2 for repair due to the RZS or "Rebel Zoom Syndrome".

Over the shop they offered me a 2 year warranty extension for the amount of 195 Euros... that be over $200....

I know repair costs are real high, but isnīt this too much?
195 Euros is about 10% of what I payed for the cam.

I know that if I manage to get the money Iīd go for it..
But I still think thatīs way too expensive.

Or is it not?
Old June 2nd, 2004, 12:18 PM   #2
Major Player

What is the rebel zoom syndrome?
Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:47 PM   #3
Old Boot

A reet pain in the posterior

The Side zoom toggle, the one on the cassette door, when, released keeps on zooming - in either direction, it aint fussy! . . It's a real pain in the bottom . . . I now use a LANC ZR1000 or the Grip zoom.

. . hey ho . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 03:09 PM   #4
Trustee

Federico,
It's way too much. This type of extended warranty has been much-condemned in the UK as a means of extorting more money from equipment purchasers. Retail chains like Dixons and Currys are the worst offenders and I think the practise has been looked at by a government department.

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 03:20 PM   #5
Old Boot

In any event, a UK consumer has a statutory 1 year cover on most purchases . . go figure why we get "pushed" into buying that first year too!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 04:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, I thought it was too much.

My cam is still under the first year warranty (very soon to expire) so in the OFFICIAL AUTHORIZED CANON place in Barcelona they offered me this warranty thing. So this is a Canon Spain thing and not a retail chain or any store..

So I guess this makes it even worse?

Doesnīt this feel a bit like Mafia thing... Like pay us to protect you from ourselves?
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:58 AM   #7
Major Player

IT was fast

After delaying the cam trip to service the Zoom Affair (6 months later) I sent it for repair yesterday afternoon..
Today in the morning I got a call... less than 24 hours later...

I have my cam fixed.. Zoom Zoom ...

They also said that they changed the LCD screen and some "electronic adjustment" ????

I hadnīt noticed anything... and the girl at the desk couldnīt tell me why they had to change the LCD.... or what or why those "electronic" where adjusted..

Not that Iīm complaining.. just curiosity..

It was so fast on service because they said, that professionals Equipment has priority, so for Canon Spain Xm2 is professional.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders