GL2 footage looking a little red. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 01:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 footage looking a little red.

I just taped some interview footage of a single subject in a conference room. I have lighting on him from a Rifa Light and a Tota Light (both Lowel) and I am noticing the skin on the face is a bit redish. While I know I can color correct afterwards, I was wondering what I could do during the interview to improve this, or if I'm just messing up some setting.

Thanks!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 01:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Joshua!

What you could do before shooting the footage is adjust your Custom Presets. You get to the presets through the menu. There it allows you to adjust the saturation, tilt the color more toward green or red, adjust soft/sharpness, and adjust setup level.

I would turn down the saturation a bit. Also manually white balance against a white sheet of paper.

Note: After you have adjusted your custom presets, you must push the custom presets button on the left side of the camera. It' s on when you see CP in your viewfinder.

Hope this helps!

,Frank
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 01:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Frank... thanks for the quick and helpful reply.

One quick clarification question:

"I would turn down the saturation a bit. Also manually white balance against a white sheet of paper."

I'm doing the white balance and that's helping but I don't see where I would change the saturation.

Thanks!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:42 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Were overhead fluorescent lights also operating in that conference room? If so, you may have picked up a bit too much of their blue/green in your white balance. Also remember that in order to pull an accurate white balance the white card must (a) fill the frame, (b) be reflecting the light against which you want to balance, and (b) be properly exposed in the camera.

As big of a posterior discomfort as it is, this is why so many experienced videographers schlep a small, properly calibrated production monitor with them. It's the best way to judge such matters before pressing the big red button.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:17 PM   #5
Major Player

White balancing by putting a piece of white paper or a card closely in front of the cam with an attached light source or even your own nearby light source and then videotaping a further away subject that is affected by room/other light is a big mistake. I white balanced while standing next to my halogen light set up and the footage turned out very yellowish due to the incandescent lights in the chapel as I tried to shoot subjects further away. I should have stood next to the subjects as I white balanced instead of doing it next to my halogen light on its stand.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 07:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Joshua: Sorry about the delay! I had to get home from work and actually look at the camera. Couldn't think of how to explain it off the top of my head. :-)

Anyhow, here's how you do it:

MENU -> CSTM PRESET -> and you should get four options:

-Color Gain (what I was calling 'saturation')
-Color Phase
-Sharpness
-Setup Level
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Ladner : Joshua: Sorry about the delay! I had to get home from work and actually look at the camera. Couldn't think of how to explain it off the top of my head. :-)

Anyhow, here's how you do it:

MENU -> CSTM PRESET -> and you should get four options:

-Color Gain (what I was calling 'saturation')
-Color Phase
-Sharpness
-Setup Level -->>>

Ahh, yes, that's what I got.

Thanks all!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders