Audio: Wireless Mic's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 25th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio: Wireless Mic's

I HAVE THE AZDEN 100LT SYSTEM FOR MY GL2. IT CONSITS OF 1 RECIEVER, AND 1 BODYPACK TRANSMITTER W/ A LAPEL MIC.

I WANT TO HAVE 2 PEOPLE TALKING ON CAMERA EACH HAVING THEIR OWN LAPEL MIC, FOR GOOD SOUND. WHAT DO I NEED TO ACHIEVE THIS? I CALLED AZDEN AND THEY SAID I WOULD NEED TO BUY ANOTHER BODYPACK TRANSMITTER, AND RECIEVER (I KNOW I NEED ANOTHER BODYPACK TRANSMITTER THATS OBVIOUS), BUT HE MENTIONED ILL NEED ANOTHER RECIEVER TO HOOK UP TO MY GL2, SO ILL HAVE 2 RECIEVERS ATTACHED TO THE CAMERA, AND SOME HOW GET BOTH RECIEVERS PLUGED INTO IT. 1 TRANSMITTER PER 1 RECIEVER.... IS THERE A PRODUCT ( A RECIEVER) THAT I CAN BUY AND ATTACH TO MY GL2 THAT WILL LET 2 TRANSMITTERS W LAPEL MICS GO INTO IT SO YOU CAN HEAR BOTH PEOPEL TALK? INSTEAD OF HAVING 1 RECIEVERS SOMEHOW ATTAHCED TO THE CAMERA?

I FOUND THIS...BUT I DONT THINK IT WILL WORK RIGHT. THE AZDEN CAM 3..."This minature 3-channel microphone mixer allows you to add and mix sound from 3 microphone sources simultaneously. Only 3 1/4" x 1/4" x 2 1/8", it weighs 3 ounces, uses no batteries, and can be attached to the camcorder or the handstrap."

AND USE THAT TO MIX THE 2 PEOPLES LAPEL MICS INTO MY CAMERA? DO I STILL NEED TO BUY ANOTHER RECIEVER AND STILL HAVE 2 RECIEVERS GOING? OR JUST HAVE 1 RECIEVER ATTACHED TO THE CAM 3 WITH 2 LAPELS COMING INTO IT? I DONT THINK THAT WILL WORK?

HELP ME PLEASE...
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

You should have gotten the WR22 kit from Azden. It has two body packs, and one reciever for both mics. You then get two mono channels, which feed right into the GL's mini jack. Or, if you only need one mic, you can get stereo out.

P.S. Kill the cap lock please, it's rather annoying.
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

HEY

Ok sorry for the caps..

how much is that?
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #4
Capt. Quirk

It's been a while, but I think I spent around $200 or so for the set. Do a search, and shop around. You may want to check back with Azden, and find out if the WR22 reciever is compatible with the bodypack you already have. Then you would only need to get one extra lav and transmitter with it. Of course, from the sound of things, they may steer you in the wrong direction... again.
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

LoL,
Thanks man. I appreciate all the help.....When shooting news...like a fire and you need to get interviews, I'm the only one there...you suggest using a handheld for the person getting interviewd, or a lav?
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #6
Capt. Quirk

A hand held would be quicker and easier, but most folk wouldn't know how to use one properly- holding it too close, too far away, etc. In that case, a shotgun would likely be the solution.
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #7
Major Player

Have you looked at omni directional wireless mics? I have perfect sound when I do weddings with them. You can key the voices exactly how you want them in post, just aslong as the second person(s) is in the omnis sound range.

John DeLuca
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #8
Major Player

BTW- Wireless mics would most likely have the cleanest sound. A fair trade off for the convenience of a shotgun.
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm confused.. what's the difference between a Uni-directional microphone and a Omni-directional.

Nevermind, I answered my own question!!!

Old August 26th, 2005, 12:21 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Why can't you go from 2 transmitters to one reciever as long as they are all set to the same frequency?
Scott Ellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ellifritt
Why can't you go from 2 transmitters to one reciever as long as they are all set to the same frequency?
Because the transmitters transmitt continuously while they are on, and they will interfeer with each other. To work they need to be on different frequencies, and that means the receiver will have to be able to receive both frequencies at the same time - effectively be two receivers.

Azden has released a 2-channel UHF receiver, the 200UPR. It should work with the body pack transmitter you have in which case you would have to buy one additional body pack for 2-channel use with the receiver.

You could buy a second 100LT system and use two receivers with your GL. Would be a bit lower cost, but less convenient.
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:34 AM   #12
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

As Don said, get the new Azden 200 UPR UHF Dual channel reciever. Add an additional mic (Lapel, handheld or XLR) and you are in business.

The AZD200 reciever works on the same frequencies as the AZD100 series, and you can use your exisitng mic with it.

http://www.videoguys.com/azden.htm

Gary
Old August 26th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. It's nice to feel informed.
Scott Ellifritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders