zoom problem - solved (DIY) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 27th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #16
Trustee

Graham,
I've got a contact in Canon so I'm hoping to get something sorted out there...
But you're absolutely right, it shouldn't be happening - and since it is, then Canon should be listening. Is this just a problem with the XM2, since the zoom rocker is on the casette compartment door? I think it's something to do with the ribbon cable getting stressed with the opening and closing.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #17
Major Player

Well, my canon is out of waranty period (I had just an year of that...). I'm thinking to go at the canon sevice and just buy the dam' thing... What else?! I also had a SVHS panasonic for about 8 years before selling it to buy this XM2. After 8 years it had NO problems at all. I just sold it because it was "outdated". (and analog capturing and editing MJPEG was a nightmare for me...)
Old September 27th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #18
Old Boot

"I've got a contact in Canon so I'm hoping to get something sorted out there... " please contact me. I'm really quite upset about such a failure. The ribbon thing - if that - should be an easy and recognised repair - 30 mins tops for a repair! But I tell you what will happen .. they wont have the part and you will wait the statutory 28 days . . maybe 21 days if you are lucky. However, this is not my point. My point is that Canon must recognise that there maybe a design problem which at present is not being recognised.

Robin, maybe with your "contacts" maybe you, I, we could get somewhere. You have just discovered this, it wont be long before you will get really annoyed by it.

Cosmin . . I weep for you . . not good . . not good at all . . as for others? Wait for the "other" shoe to drop . . you may be lucky . . I really hope you are . . . However when it happens it is sickening . . .

Graham Bernard
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #19
New Boot

My “shim repair” is still working. Among other things, I shoot video for the local fire department so my camera gets used almost every day – with lots of zooming. However. I’m not optimistic enough to think it will last.

A Canon rep called me a couple of days ago and offered free shipping to their repair facility in NJ. I explained that since I use my camera every day I can’t afford to send it in until it fails completely.

I directed her to this forum, and she assured me she would take a look at it. She also said she would bring it to the attention of the appropriate people at Canon.

Hans
Hans Nyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 01:27 PM   #20
Old Boot

Hans thank you.

I really like my XM2, but when filming and then re-framing with the zoom, for that "special" shot, to have it ruined by the zoom continuing to zoom in is not good . . and then to have to wait for the zoom to take hold to zoom out when the action/moment has passed is not very professional. Like I say my Dad's ancient Panasonic analogue zoom controller just keeps on . . . well Rockin' . . .

Oh, the grip zoom somtimes overides this behaviour .. . sometimes it will not . ..

Please Mr Canon come back with some good news for us! ! ! Please!

Hans, while your contact is reading maybe she may wish to view the follwing to:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...highlight=zoom

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...highlight=zoom

Graham Bernard
Old September 27th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Bravo!

You guys are awesome. It's so cool to see guys continents apart helping each other with not just software but real mechanical problems! Even if it doesnt get fixed the first time you guys dont stop, thats awesom, thats powerfull, you guys Rock! Bravo!
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #22
Major Player

I've just reopend the zoom and recleaned it..

Also, I looked at the small contact plates. They seemed not to touch the resistor (graphite?) part very well. I tried bending the contact plate for better contact and, for my surprise, it did bend very easy... I thought that part would be more "springy" and I wouldn't be able to bend it. It looks like cheap stuff....

Anyway, now the zoom works again.
But I'm expecting a replacement from canon. (I'm not going to open up my camcorder before/after every use..)
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #23
Major Player

I just noticed this piece of info I´ve overlooked before..

<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Bernard : I'm really quite upset about such a failure. The ribbon thing - if that - should be an easy and recognised repair - 30 mins tops for a repair! But I tell you what will happen .. they wont have the part and you will wait the statutory 28 days . . maybe 21 days if you are lucky. However, this is not my point. My point is that Canon must recognise that there maybe a design problem which at present is not being recognised.
Graham Bernard -->>>

WHen I sent my XM2 to repair this zoom issue, I left the Cam in the shop at 6 P.M (they close at 8).. and I got a call from Canon Service telling me my cam was ready, next day at 11 in the morning (they open at 10).

I was surprised that a "big city" like this, with hundreds of Cams, video and photo for repair (actually this is the only official shop in the whole province), will do that so fast, and they told me XM2 is considered Pro equipment and so it has priority.

Anyway, my point is, whatever the problem is, it sure can be fixed in 30 minutes, and whatever piece they need to replace (they told me they replaced the whole door) is easy available for them. And I´m pretty sure they are aware of what exactly the issue is, otherwise they will have not fixed it in 30 minutes.

So I guess the only reason to not accept a Design Failure is that there might not be enough XM2 - Gl2 users for them to care.

Well, I love Canon Products, and do not regret buying my XM2, but this issue will sure make me think twice whenever I have to purchase a product from them again.
Old October 4th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #24
Major Player

I posted on this some time ago. when my XM1 had this problem I was told about the break in the ribbon cable where it emerges from the switch. They said that the switch/cable was a sealed unit and the entire system had to be replaced. In my case this involved a complete new outer skin to the cassette compartment door. It seems the rocker switch is not a separate component. It took several weeks to obtain the part (in the UK), but once it arrived the camera was ready next day. The bill was mainly for the part - the labour was less than I pay for a service.

I can accept that a break in a cable could cause an intermittent fault of this kind, which worsens with time. Cosmin's poor contact between wiper and track, either due to dirt, wear of the track or weakening of the spring contact makes sense too as an altyernative cause.

Whatever, my camera has not displayd the fault since it was repaired 8 months ago - touch wood!
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 06:23 AM   #25
Major Player

I was informed by canon officials that I will recieve the replacement part at no expense! :)
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:32 AM   #26
New Boot

Cosmin,

What part are they sending you ... the entire door, the rocker switch?

I'd like to see if I can make the same arrangement with Canon USA.
Hans Nyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #27
Major Player

I don't knoe yet... I'll let you know when I get it!
Old October 5th, 2004, 10:45 AM   #28
Old Boot

Cosmin - Please contact me . .I guess you know why!

Grazie
Old October 22nd, 2004, 05:11 AM   #29
Major Player

Hi all,

I've received the the rocker switch yesterday (it is NOT the entire door). I already replaced the old one last night! I must tell you this is not a simple task. I actually had to remove the bottom part of the camera (the plate with the tripod mount), which is METAL by the way, and then I removed the lateral wall of the camera, all so I could access the connection for the zoom ribbon cable.
I took a couple of "hard core" pics while working on it. It's on film, though. So I have to get them processed and then I'll post them for "hard-core" fans! :)

I cannot see any difference between the new part and the old one. Except this new one is working, of course! :)
Old October 22nd, 2004, 06:07 AM   #30
Old Boot

Well done Cosmin! - I just wouldn't attempt this . . .

You have my admiration . . oooo Hard Core yes please . . Naked XM2 in Romania . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders