DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 / XM2 Frame mode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/3415-gl2-xm2-frame-mode.html)

David Ho March 8th, 2004 06:09 AM

Whenever I use frame mode on a tripod with OIS on, the pans seem "smoother" than when OIS is off...... maybe its just me?

Christopher Najewicz March 25th, 2004 12:46 PM

To shoot in FRAME mode?

Forgive me if this is a repeat topic, I did do some searching on google, but found the topic a bit confusing. Anyhow, I am just about to begin shooting a project on my new GL-2 (which is a fine piece of equipment). Anyhow, the final output of this project will be to DVD. I was wondering if it's considered better to shoot with FRAME mode or to shoot in regular video (interlaced) and then do the de-interlace in post. Does this give better results?

One more question, not quite sure exactly how FRAME mode works, but I am going to be shooting in a club (low light) is having this on going to decrease my shutter speed more than it should be?

Thanks a bunch!

Ken Tanaka March 25th, 2004 12:56 PM

Welcome Christopher,

Here are some threads that will help to get you started on this subject. Make a pot of coffee end enjoy!

Brian Huey March 25th, 2004 01:00 PM

Welcome to the boards! Give the search button up in the upper right a try.

I did a search for a "deinterlace frame" and here are a few relevent results:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...me+deinterlace
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...me+deinterlace

Give those a read and do that search (or whatever you feel will get you close to the info you're looking for) and you should be able to find what you're looking for. If not just ask again and someone should have some good info for you.

Cheers,
Brian

Rob Lohman March 28th, 2004 04:03 AM

Do some tests yourself! If you set your camera in manual mode
you can easily see if you loose light when changing modes (since
this will be apparent).

DVD might benefit from a "progressive" like video stream, but with
any system, do some tests prior. Keep in mind that de-interlacing
in post adds to render time and other things. You cannot get the
same look through de-interlacing as you can with frame mode
because the material originates differently in that mode.

Which is BETTER solely depends on what look you are after and
which software you have available. Run some tests to see which
way you like.

Keep in mind that the best method for testing frame mode and
de-interlacing software is to do it with subjects moving in your
frame or your camera moving around. A still shot from a tripod
basically has no interlacing.

Thomas Fraser April 10th, 2004 03:21 PM

cam or frame mode for stills??

What give me a better image using the 1.7 M.P. camera in my GL2 or filming in frame mode and grab a frame and printing it ? If you were to convert a single frame to M.P. any idea what it would be?

Miguel Lombana April 10th, 2004 05:38 PM

Frame movie mode all the way for this one... for best results, just pickup a nice 3 mp camera, they're under 150 bucks at walmart.

Andrew Hogan April 13th, 2004 09:26 PM

I think the 1.7MP still would be better as its much bigger size than the Frame mode grabbed image. but with Frame mode you have heaps of stills to choose from.

John Heskett April 14th, 2004 07:09 AM

I've used both and the 1.7mp is a better quality when printed to any size above 3".

Miguel Lombana April 14th, 2004 07:13 AM

After further review; you're correct the 1.7mp would work better for printing however with that amount of resolution you're really looking at small prints, IMHO 4x6 would be a problem and you may be very limited as to what you can do. For this again I suggest getting a kodak or similar 3mp cam, again they're cheap now.

For my work since I usually make slideshows of my projects for my customers, I usually shoot in Frame and do grabs for another sub-project or slide show.

Steve Olds April 15th, 2004 08:45 AM

I did not buy the GL2 to take photos with. BUT! after using the photo mode I think it takes damn good photos. I have a lot of outdoor photos of wildlife that a lot of my friends now use for wallpaper on desk tops. But I have not tried to grab any photo stills from the film yet. And not sure I know how to do that yet?

I don't know much about still cameras, but would you have the same type of zoom on a $150.00 3 meg pix camera as I do on my GL2? That would be hard for me to use a camera if it were less than my GL2 even tho it is only 1.7 mp. People think I have some big mp still camera that I take these photos with and they find it hard to belive that it is only 1.7

Steve

Seth Richter April 15th, 2004 09:00 AM

Depending on the software you are using to capture and edit your video, most if not all of them have an "export frame" option. I'm using Adobe premiere, and I just drag and drop the footage on the timeline. Then track to the frame that I want and select |file|, |export|, |frame|.

I use photoshop to manipulate.

See www.filekfilms.com/freudpics.html for some examples of frame mode with gl2 from actual footage.

Thomas Fraser April 18th, 2004 02:54 PM

GL2 1.7 vers Canon Camera 3.2

My friends and I both shot 10 photos of the same subject under same lighting conditions, I used my GL2 1.7 MP . He used Canon Power Shot 3.2MP digital camera.
There was no difference in color or detail when we printed them at 4x6 at local photofinsher. Infact my GL2 shots were sharper, could be the lens on the GL2 makes up for the lower MP's?

Marko Zorec April 21st, 2004 10:51 AM

The photo mode on the GL2 have one exellent point: you can use its very amazing 20x zoom, white balance, manual exposure adjustments, you can also be able to manipulate with DOF... On the other hand there is one big negative thing: only 1.7mp.

So you can make an exellent photos but you will not be able to do anything with them because of limited 1.7mp.

I am asking myself, is there any solution or must I buy for example Nikon D 70 (cheaper models are not satisfying my expectations and needs).

Marko Zorec

Bryan Im May 13th, 2004 05:20 PM

Shutter speeds in Frame mode with GL2?

Hi all. New to the GL2 and looking for some tips.

What is the concensus for shutter speeds while in frame mode with the GL2?

My specific usage in question is for filming forward facing (road & scenery) driving sequences between 30-50mph. Usually in very bright, sunny conditions at very high altitude (8k-14k feet). Not that it should make any difference for shutter speed, but we're also using the 58H Wide Angle lens and no other filters.

Preliminary results look good with Tv 60, ND on, and possibly an AE Shift of +.25 to brighten the frame mode picture.

Our end product will be viewed on PC screens, so this is one reason for us to use frame mode (less post time by not deinterlacing).