After Market Lenses Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 16th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #1
Tourist

After Market Lenses Problem

I purchased a telephoto(2X) and wide angle lenses(0.5X) from a company called Digital Depot Inc. which advertised them to be used with the Canon GL2. The lenses are 58mm lenses made in Japan by a company called Digital Optics. The company that distrubtes them in the US is called Sakar Inc. After receiveing the lenses I mounted them with no trouble at all, but was very disappointed to find out that the Telephoto lens has extreme distortion picking up the edges of the lens or the mounting. If you haven't seen this before it looks as if you are filming through a tube, your picture is masked off with just the center circle coming through. I am told is called "vignetting" the wide angle also has a small amount of "vignetting" on the corners when fully wide. Has anyone else come across this problem, or am I doing Something wrong? I have contacted the company I purchased them from about this issue and they are questioning the situation because they claim that they have sold many of these lenses to other GL2 users without any problems.
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Read the "What websites should I avoid when purchasing an XL2?" thread in the XL2 forum, and Barry Green's post about "Sakar and Digital Optics".
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 06:26 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

That is just some of the problems you might have with cheapo lenses. I bought one of those digital tele lens, and discovered the image was extremely soft, and there was some vignetting.

I also bought a Canon wide angle, and it is perfect- no noticeable distortion, good image. Once again, you get what you pay for.
Old January 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #4
Major Player

These are cheap-ass lens.

I have those two (Digital Optics) lenses as well, and suffer from the same problem.

Keith put it right: You get what you pay for, and I regret having wasted my money on them!

Another problem you will find out is that the GL2 has trouble focusing when setting zoom to maximum with the telephoto lens.

However the wide lens is perfectly usable if you're shooting in widescreen, since the vignetting 'only' affects the corners. Hardly a solution, but at least you can use it in a few cases.
Dave Ferdinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #5
Tourist

Thanks guys for the feedback. Looks I learned a valualbe lesson here. But I would like to know your opinions on whether these lenses should even be considered compatible with the GL2 or not. There is a difference between "cheap" and "not designed for". I will definately be trying to get my money back on these and need the appropiate ammo.
Thanks,
Kelly
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:48 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Kelly,
Having seen your sample images as I did, I would say that these adapters are certainly not designed for the GL2 or any video camera. They are the same cheap adapters that New York / New Jersey come-on shops have been peddling as "starter lens kits" to vulnerable still camera buyers for many, many years. Even without the vignetting, the chromatic aberration (i.e. color fringing) in your examples made it look like you're shooting a 3-D movie.

The usual profile of these shops is that they'll attract uninformed buyers by publishing ridiculously low prices on popular cameras. When they get a nibble they'll force feed kits with adapters, lens cleaners, table tripods, cheap filters, etc. to the buyer for outrageous prices, thus ultimately scalping a far greater end price (and profit from the buyer.

Hey, I suspect we've all made mistakes like this. I know that I have.

Good luck getting a refund.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #7
Major Player

These are 58mm lenses, and therefore can be considered GL2 'compatible' because they fit. It's quite difficult to say what's 'design for' the GL2 and what's not.

You could try to swap both lenses for a proper quality lens (look for respected brands, like Canon or Century Optics) if they have any, but be sure these are much more expensive and a single telephoto lens could cost you $200-$400.
Dave Ferdinand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders