advice needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 30th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

advice needed

i am new to this board and I've read up on some topics. I've searched a bit, but I also find that if you reintroduce an old topic, there may be new opionions and new ideas that come up.

I recently purchased a GL2 from abesofmaine.com and bought the warranty, and tele and wide angle lenses from them along with some other accessories. Are these Sakar crap? http://abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=lensspecial3

will I need to get something else?

I plan on filming a project that I'll want to look like film-like. I have adobe premiere pro 1.5 on the PC (windows) with some plug-ins.

The predominant scene are two people in an office conversing. I know lighting and sound is very important and the mic on the GL2 is not adequate. I was planning on buying the AT 4073 mic

I would strategically place it hidden on the desk between the two people while they converse. I wanted to avoid the LAV mics since they may catch some ruffling of the clothes when they move, etc. not to mention the shotgun mic would be handy for other projects.

I know with film, one uses a light meter and the ISO on a film to determine f stop settings. What do ya'll use to determine which f stop to use on your GL2 once you've lit the room? Also, which setting should I set the camera in...... 16:9 or 4:3? I'm not sure how the 16:9 or 4:3 works with the GL2. and the 1/60 is what everyone recommends....is that the setting I should use to make it more filmlike and convert to DVD later. And then Frame mode versus normal mode for movie mode? can someone explain?

I know these are lot of questions, and thanks in advance.....
Joe Mobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Film look plu in

With registration, via e-mail, for your Premiere Pro 1.5 you get a free plug in called Magic Bullet, it is a"look like film" plug in. I tried it and it is not too bad.
Check it out.
Old January 30th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #3
Fred Retread

Joe, the 4073a is a great mic, but not designed for the way you want to use it. It's a directional mic designed to pick up sound in front of it and reject sound from the side and rear.

Also, It's not clear whether you realize that you need a separate phantom power supply to operate that mic, and an adaptor cable to enable plugging it in to your 1/8" mic jack (unless you also bought an XLR adaptor and didn't mention it).

One more thing about the 4073 is that it can easily overload the GL2's input. It puts out a particulary strong signal.

You would do better with a lav or other omnidirectional mic hidden on the desk.

It's Frame Mode that tends to make the video more film-like, not the 1/60 of a second shutter speed. 1/60 is what to use in all but unusual circumstances.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders