TV image problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 12th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

TV image problems

Just shot a basketball game w/ gl2 and did a quick edit on the computer. Exported to dvd. ** When watching on the tv the still/non-panning images look absolutely awesome, BUT, the shots with a lot of movement are so blurry (or ghosted?) and edgy. Is this an interlacing problem? What settings do I change on the camera for more blended resolution? I know there is the frame mode but I'd really like to keep it video so no loss of pic quality. Is it something to do with the output to dvd, meaning do I need to interlace or deinterlace.

Jay
Jay Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Two guesses based on brief description, neither of which has to do with interlacing or dvd transfer.

1. Your camera movements were too fast and erratic, or

2. You were using Av mode (or 'P' or green box mode) in a dark room and the camera had to slow the shutter speed to get good exposure at your selected aperture.

Covering sporting events is challenging; that's why networks use so many cameras and light the venues so brightly.

All I can advise is that practice makes better.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That answers that. It is a strangely lit arena and I notice the closer the kids got to my area of lighting the less the problem occurs. Same with my wife's 35 still camera. The lighting is so varied across the court that even in sports mode many of the images were very blurry (of course she was using auto focus mode).

Thanks
Jay Stevens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders