gl2 not detected - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 25th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #31
Regular Crew

when i put the installation CD in, i get the following menu under the title of "Firewire Notebook Adapter Installation"...

install photoexpress - my custom edition

install videostudio 5.0

install cool 360

firenet demo

there doesn't appear to be an option to install a driver, unless i'm missing something...
Adam Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #32
Major Player

I am guessing perhaps the driver will not show up. When you insert the card Windows should say something like "New Hardware Found" and proceed with prompts to install the driver. You do not let it install automatically; you select manual, insert the CD and wait a while for it to recognize the CD, and then direct it to the CD path and see if anything shows up.
Again, just a guess. Indeed there may not even be any drivers for such a card but it won't hurt to try it if you haven't already.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:30 AM   #33
New Boot

Unresponsive Firewire card.

Most laptops using WinXP have a hardware profile that is located in the control panel under System settings. Click on Start, then control panel and then the System icon. If you click on the tab labeled profiles there may be more than one listed. For instance there might be one for a docking station when the laptop is inserted and power supplied by the AC adapter. There might also be a second profile for when the laptop is on battery power.

In my experience, most manufacturers power off the PCMCIA slots and other non-critical adapters to conserve battery power and extend the laptops battery time.

If you look around the various profiles you might find that Windows XP is recognizing your PCMCIA Firewire card but the profile may be turning it off. In otherwords it gives you that wonderful sound that says it acknowledged your card being inserted but is powering it off right after that to conserve power.

Tinkering around in this area should give you the option to disable or enable the firewire card when on battery power.

Hope this helps.
Dwain Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #34
New Boot

Dell Laptop

Mine is a Dell and does this same thing. What could be wrong? The firewire card works fine with battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard
Sasha - Your notebook wouldn't be a Dell .. would it? . .hmmm...

Grazie
CJ Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:23 PM   #35
Tourist

gl2 not detected

I have an emac using imovie and a mac g4 with fcp 3 and niether computer recognizes either of my gl2's they both see my gl1 just fine any suggestions. The gl4 is os 10.1.4 I think and my Emac is three weeks old so has the latest version of Tiger. I am waiting for my new fcp 5 will that help the problem?
Patrick Strobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 03:07 PM   #36
Old Boot

Hellooooo CJ!

Here is the very sorry tale of woah stretching back some 3 years. This is the last 6 months of it, well, up to 2004 anyways.

I stumbled on much of the solutions with a couple of fellows over on the Vegas Forum. Then I had a Dell Inspiron 8k - did my ediotng on that - it turned out to be the Dell Power Management!

So, from 16-10-04
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/for...ssageID=323853

. . and then from 31-07-03
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/for...ssageID=202493

Read the whole thing .. if it helps, great . .if not, then you can cancel it from the equation.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders