DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 Remove Cassette Error Fix (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/42822-gl2-remove-cassette-error-fix.html)

Steven Lutz April 13th, 2006 05:23 PM

had mine for a month and it just started doing it, going back to canon on monday----this stuff is bullshit

Jim Corley April 23rd, 2006 06:10 AM

DV Rewinder

For those of you that have had the dreaded "Remove Cassette" Error with your GL2, and have purchased a DV Rewinder to use instead of rewinding tapes in the camera, has that fixed the problem, or do you still encounter this problem from time to time with your GL2?

Thanks,
Jim

David Ennis April 23rd, 2006 10:03 AM

I've had a rewinder from the start. In two years I haven't used fast forward or rewind on my GL2 more than 2 minutes total. I haven't had any problems. But the truth is that defect modes are highly random and the threshold of failure varies from unit to unit. You could conceiveably use a rewinder and still have problems. I could have problems tomorrow.

However. other things being equal, using a rewinder certainly takes strain and wear off of the GL2 transport mechanism. And I don't worry about it. As soon as my high school video club can afford it, I will buy a GL2 for it, because I haven't seen anything in the $1500 -2500 range do stage productions as well, including my VX2100.

[Edit-- I often make that assertion about the GL2 vs. the VX2100. In fairness, I haven't tried diffusion filters on the VX, or deinterlacing and softening its footage in post]

Sola Osofisan May 27th, 2006 05:58 AM

Just got this problem. I have never played a tape recorded on this Cam I have owned for more than 2 yrs. First time I did it, the problem started. Meanwhile, I also recently developed the "Zoom has a mind of its own" problem, so the cam is just about useless now.

David Ennis May 28th, 2006 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sola Osofisan
Just got this problem. I have never played a tape recorded on this Cam I have owned for more than 2 yrs. First time I did it, the problem started. Meanwhile, I also recently developed the "Zoom has a mind of its own" problem, so the cam is just about useless now.

Sorry to hear that. Both of those problems have been addressed with some success on a do-it-yourself basis by some people in this thread. Otherwise it's a trip back to the service center where about $250 is the standard charge and they pretty much fix everything for that price.

Tony Marino May 28th, 2006 02:25 PM

Life Expectancy of GL-2

How many years should the average GL-2 last? Does it go by the amount of hours you use it or do the amount of years factor into it. For example I use mine less than ten hours a year (recording and playback) so should I expect to have it for ten years or does storage time somehow wear on it. Also Canon told me to send it in for cleaning and adjustment about once a year. Should I wait until every three or four years since I barely use it?

Thanks,
Tony

Kevin Shaw May 28th, 2006 09:39 PM

I bought a Canon GL1 about six years ago, had it serviced once and just sold it off to someone else in working condition. As far as I can tell the GL2 should be equally durable.

David L. Holmes May 29th, 2006 05:10 AM

This is the question that is almost impossible to answer. It's like asking how long will a lightbulb last. The less you use it, the longer it will work perfectly. Problem is, sometimes you get a bummer bulb... No one can truely know for sure, but hopefully you will have a long and healthy relationship with your camera.

Don Palomaki May 29th, 2006 07:22 AM

Some parts wear, like heads and tape mechanism. Other age and gradually fail such as rubber components, and perhaps some electronic parts like and the internal back-up battery. Other things just get old and obsolete (like 8-track tapes, 8mm and and VHS recorders) and people move beyond them, even if they work.

A typical GL1/2 should be good for 10 years and more, subject to limitations to parts that wear from use or age fast due to unusual environmental storage (e.g., hot and humid). Also, long term lack of use can cause some electronic components to become inefffctive as well (e.g., electrolytic capicators).

By way of reference to other Canon gear, my GL1 is ~6 years old and doing fine, my XL1 is now past 8 years old and going strong, an L2 I have dates to April 1993 (over 13 years old) is doing fine (for Hi8) while a 1991 vintage A1 Digital (also Hi8) appears to suffer from some internal electronic component failures over the past 5-6 years (been that long since I last used it) and needs work.

Len Imbery May 29th, 2006 06:07 PM

Life of GL2

I took a 3 day workshop in Chico CA last December. It was one put on by Videomaker magazine at their headquarters. They used a a couple of GL1s for the workshop courses and when asked why, they responded "because they're good workhorse camcorders" as they were each about 5 yrs. old and they kept on working!....I hope my GL2 lasts a long time too, as they're not an inexpensive item to replace, and I'd assume that being "prosumer" that they might be at least of a bit better stamina than the ordinary consumer stuff....however, one has to wonder about the drive mechanizm quality when reading some of the stories of the cassette problems....
Len

Dale Guthormsen May 29th, 2006 10:19 PM

Len

I have had my gl2 for a year and a half, had it in for tape mechenism problems ( I stupidly was shuttling back and forth) . Otherwise its a great camera. while it was out for the fix I bought an xl2 for a back up camera.

By the way, do you have connections to northern /california and live in Reginea??
I have family in Marysville and I live about 80 miles from Regina

Bill Wilson May 30th, 2006 10:34 AM

Zoom has a mind of its own problem

I bought a new main zoom rocker switch from Canons service center for $13.95. Cosmin Rotaru has posted the pictures & description on replacing this part in a thread on the zoom problem. It fixes the problem.

The total cost including UPS shipping came to $21-. My advice: if you are not afraid to open the camera save the money & replace it yourself.

Len Imbery May 30th, 2006 09:37 PM

cassette error etc.

Hi Dale....Yes I live in Regina....I don't have any connections with California other than I like to travel there (great beer at the Chico Sierra Nevada Brewery)
Len

Rey Soares June 2nd, 2006 12:00 AM

My xl1-s is eating my tapes!

Hi everyone. My XL1-S is having the same problems as described by all of you before.
My question is this: Should I try to change tape brand hoping to stop the problem, or it is necessary to send it to Canon?
Past two weeks I shot maybe three hours of footage and the problem happened twice - One of them caused me to lose one tape. Afterwards I shot two more hours and nothing wrong happened. I am not rewinding tapes with the camera anymore.
Thanks

Ron Edwards July 18th, 2006 07:28 AM

Fixed !

I too have had multiple problems with the "REMOVE CASSETTE" problem while rewinding. I called Cannon and they suggested using the "cleaning tape" more often. I did...and it didn't help. They suggested sending the cam in and they would fix it.

I was willing to try my own fix so I took some cleaner and cleaned the clutch. I proceeded to rewind a 60 minute tape without any problems. Fast forward and rewind 5 times...not a single error. Before cleaning the clutch I could not rewind more than 30 seconds without a stopage. Now it operates perfect.