DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 Remove Cassette Error Fix (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/42822-gl2-remove-cassette-error-fix.html)

Mike Donley August 6th, 2005 12:25 PM

90 Days?

I think the warranty period on repairs in the US is 90 days. Every repaired piece of equipment has been returned with a document specifying 90 days. But I guess it is possible an extended repair warranty is being provided for some specific repairs.

Alec Eriksson August 17th, 2005 05:37 PM

Depressing isn't it?

Thought I would add my story to this thread as it see it's really struggling for replies. </sarcasm>

Granted this discussion is regarding the GL2, but I own a GL1 that has suffered from the Remove Cassette error consistantly throughout it's posh life in my camerabag. After 13 months of use, approximately 30 hours of filming, and maybe 6 hours of tape transfer to PC, my first set of "guts" started to act up. Eventually (like everyone else it seems) the unit mangled several tapes, refused to record, and generally put me off of Canon as it happened literally a month after the warranty had expired.

Several angry calls to Canon to bust everyone's chops that I could get ahold of, and about 2 weeks later, they had replaced the transport mechs and sent me on my way acting like they did me a favor.

Fast forward (no pun intended) exactly 94 days later and it was doing the same thing. This time I'm out for blood and about ready to drive an hour north to the New Jersey factory and shoot up the place. They get the camera yet again and this time it'll be a $700 repair on a camera that has maybe 45 hours on it and the rest of the time spent napping in it's bag away from the elements indoors. After some heated discussions with managers and the like they knocked the price down to something like $400 and replaced everything. It has worked fairly well ever since but I did get the error twice more over the last few months.

Moral of the story...

I'm a typical prosumer I feel, who probably spent more than I should have on a camera I don't use enough but would like to use more. Also, I use the camera for business ocassionally to produce web video content and the typical family gatherings a few times a year as well. I simply can't afford to deal with a piece of equipment that requires such measures to keep it running. If it dies again or starts down the slippery Canon slope towards inevitable demise, it will be sold.

Finally, I have vowed, since this experience and clearly after reading this forum and noticing the lack of progress on the issue years and models later, to never buy or recommend to others another Canon camera be it video or still.

Alec Eriksson August 17th, 2005 06:05 PM

Oh I should also add the following so that my post is more useful than just a rant (I do love a good rant though)....

When I purchased the camera I was familiar with the issue of differing brands of tape creating issues with the heads. My understanding was that it's the actual lubrication used in the tape, be it dry or wet lube. I remember, though not specifically, that if you shot with Sony tapes and ever switched to something else you would get screwed but good. Which is why I've used Panasonic tapes since day one....expect those times I was in a pinch and used TDK (about 25% of the time).

Being of little cash I was unable to buy a dedicated deck for importing/winding. What I'm looking into now is buying a super cheapo DV camera just for this purpose (and also to serve as a deck for connection to a helmet cam when I go biking/driving/snowboarding). Anyone have a camera that fits the bill? Preferrably with a busted lense so it's super cheap? ;)

Finally, I never made the mistake of touching the camera in the wrong spot in the tape carrier area.

I did however once use the camera outdoors in a snow storm mostly uncovered, and then take it back inside where it was probably harmed in some small way by the condensation. That was all pre-replacement btw.

Aldo Erdic August 18th, 2005 04:04 PM

I might as well throw my voice into the fray. My 18 month old GL-2 started up with the "remove cassette" message two weeks ago. I've used it quite extensively (over 100 tapes) and figured the heads or rollers must need cleaning. I came to the forum to see what's the safest way to clean it and here I find this megathread on the issue. And here I thought it was just me. Isn't it more than a coincidence that so many of us are getting this problem at more or less the same time?

It's so aggravating! And now if I was to sell the GL2 I wouldn't be able to get a good price for it.

My old Sony Digital 8 lasted 5 years (200+ tapes) before it's tape mechanism konked out. I think I'll be sticking to Sony from now on.

Chris Hurd August 18th, 2005 06:23 PM

Just curious, Aldo, have you tried running a cleaning cassette for about 5-6 seconds in your GL2 yet?

Aldo Erdic August 19th, 2005 08:43 AM

Yeah, I did. In fact, roughly the same time the "remove cassette" issue came up I once had the message that the recording heads were dirty (in the middle of taping my friend's wedding!!). For whatever reason, I had the dirty heads warning come up about 2 months after I first bought the GL-2 and so after that I always made sure I had a head cleaning tape in my camera bag at all times. Even after using the head cleaning cassette I still have problems rewinding tapes. I can work around it because I do have a mini-DV rewinder, but nowadays I capture larger segments rather than fastforwarding or rewinding to the specific clip I want. Very annoying, to say the least.

And I've always used Panasonic tapes.

Ron Edwards August 21st, 2005 03:14 PM

If you are talking about the "remove cassette" message when trying to rewind the tape back to the beginning .... I just had my first error in this area. It took 3 attempts to get the tape back to the start. Noticed the eject was in stages also....hmmm.

Don't think it has anythine to do with switching tape brands. This GL2 has only had one brand of tape during its 14 months of usage.

Austin Puskas August 21st, 2005 05:35 PM

Will canon still take the camera to try to repair it if we want to send it in?

David Ennis August 21st, 2005 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Edwards
...Don't think it has anythine to do with switching tape brands. This GL2 has only had one brand of tape during its 14 months of usage...

I've never thought so either. I think that some inferior part, or the design itself wears out, on some faster than others. Variables contributing to the variation in how long it takes could be
1. the extent of the part defect
2. how well or how poorly the individual unit was assembled
3. how much drag has been offered by the cassettes used (I've seen variation in this)
4. how much rewinding has been done
5. how touchy the Remove Cassette sensor is
6. etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin Puskas
Will canon still take the camera to try to repair it if we want to send it in?

Yes, but if your unit is out of warranty they charge on the order of $250 US to fix it. Some people have had success arguing that figure down, some haven't

Ron Edwards August 21st, 2005 07:23 PM

Perhaps we need a regristry of Cannon owners to collectively request an "official response" to what must be a common problem. Surely they know the root cause. With all the GL2 cams sold I would think they would have some interest in gaining some "brand loyality" through correspondence with current owners ... otherwise "Sony" may pick up on the opportunity and offer a "trade-in" to current GL2 owners to switch to Sony. There is strength in numbers.

Paul Grove August 22nd, 2005 02:05 PM

I agree with the sentiments above. Still waiting for my XM2 to come back. It appears that the tape mechanism is very delicate!

The thing that puzzles me is that it can't be that different from the XL1 which - from my limited readings - appears to be fairly bomb-proof. I also don't see many posts on here from GL1/XM1 owners on the same issue - does this hint of an inherent design fault on the GL2/XM2?

The irony is that I have an old Sony TRV11e that has survived many experiences and rough handling (see www.paranormalhunter.co.uk !). I get the sinking feeling that a VX2000 may have been a better buy. Perhaps a Sony dealer would like to make us an offer we can't refuse :)

Scott Silverman August 22nd, 2005 02:45 PM

Yeah, my Sony TRV-110 has lasted me 5 years and is still going strong. It's been quite beaten up too, dropped a few times, the beach, the snow, you name it. I'm very impressed by the quality of this little low-end consumer camera.

My GL2 has been babied for about 18 months and still gives me problems that Canon denies are in existance.

Not to turn this into a Sony vs. Canon thread or anything...

Steve Olds August 23rd, 2005 01:02 PM

gl2

Canon must know something about the problem they have a service note on it.http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...7&modelid=7512

Sergey Saushkin August 25th, 2005 01:46 AM

Hi to all

My XM2 (PAL version of GL2) also starts with "remove cassette" problem.
Heads and rollers are perfect clean. Over 50 tapes used (TDK).
After some experiments with rewinding process I've figured out
that chances to recieve "remove cassette" message on XM2/GL2
are very small if I rewind tape when camcorder is in up-side down
position.
Does it work on other camcorders or It's just about some magic?

Sergey Saushkin
Naberegny Chelny, Russia

Justin Morgan August 25th, 2005 04:59 AM

That's interesting. Would be good if it's as simple as that - although it would be a bit of a pain to have to keep turning the camera upside down...

Does this little trick work for anyone else?