New GL2 Frame Captures at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 17th, 2002, 04:49 PM   #1
Major Player

New GL2 Frame Captures

I have replaced almost all of my pixilated frame captures with better still frames. Check out the latest GL2 video frame captures at:

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum8.html

A wide angle adapter was used on some of the frames.

Again, sorry for the previous poor looking frame captures. I am downloading low light and other movies also very soon, and will post a link for them tonight, but these are high quality uncompressed Quicktime files and will only last a few seconds. If they are looped you can get a very good idea of what the actual DV footage looks like.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 07:07 PM   #2
Trustee

Much better, Bill, I think the Church Lady photo really shows the kind of detail the gl2 is capable of- check out that lace. The gl1 stuff still looks pretty aliasy...more than I would expect...were those shot interlaced?

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 08:41 PM   #3
New Boot

Those look pretty good. Did you do any type of post processing on them? I haven't been able to get most of my GL2 stills to look that good.
Tom Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 09:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Barry, Those GL1 stills will have to be done over also. I was busy trying to get some low light movies up. I will post them now and come back here with a link.
The Cheerleader with her arms up was kind of over exposed so I lowered the brightness a bit in iMovie before exporting as a Quicktime movie and then extracted a .bmp frame and from there I exported from .bmp to .jpg
I kinda liked the darker, more contrasty look better; by the way a short movie of her raising her arms will be posted, possibly tomorrow. That was the only alteration on that web page. I think I can get the same look though by lowering setup level in custom preset mode. Time will tell. All movies I post from now on will be very short 2-5 MB full quality Quicktime movies.
Old October 18th, 2002, 03:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

to buddy1065

Hey I looked at your still frames of the GL2 again and they are much much better now. I am really very excited about them. They are very good for a video cam. Especially when you look at the beak of the duch there is no aliasing anymore. Just GREAT :-))))

Someone started a thread about motor noice captured by the mic. Do you have this experience as well?
Hans Kuipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2002, 06:17 AM   #6
Major Player

uh, Odessedream, I havent touched the frames of any of the ducks, just kept the ones that looked the best. I have added a few new frames so you may want to check them out again. Since I only have iMovie and not FCP I notice my process of making .jpgs is still not looking as good as a paused movie still. I make a tif capture from Quicktime, then export the tif as a jpg from iPhoto. It looks good but still not as good as Barry's stills in my opinion.
Old October 20th, 2002, 04:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

strange, on my pc the still images of the ducks look better than before. Maybe it was a temporary problem with my video card of my pc.
Old October 21st, 2002, 01:03 PM   #8
Major Player

Those interested might check my web page for 3 more low light shots, making a total of 5 for the GL2, which will be posted when I get home, about three hours from now. I think these shots are much more impressive now that I am getting used to the manual and CP adjustments.

Also short movies of how my GL2 works with my newly purchased steadytracker will be posted soon. Do not look for video quality, as it is stabilization that should be considered by you the viewer. The movies will be longer with greater compression.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum8.html
Old October 21st, 2002, 04:51 PM   #9
Major Player

Buddy,
I would be very interested in seeing you steadytracker shots. I was wondering how well those things worked and seeing it using the GL2 is even better. Thanks for all you have been putting up, it has really helped me to see what the GL2 is capable of without actually owning one. (I hope to own one soon though) Cant wait to see the stadytracker shots!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2002, 08:13 PM   #10
Major Player

Steadytracker movie has been posted. Keep in mind I threw it together and taped the footage without looking at the instructional video and balancing the thing properly. Guess I did OK for a first timer.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/iMovieTheater27.html
Old October 22nd, 2002, 06:20 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Nice video...looks pretty smooth. I also did a "steadycam" video with my GL2 w/Glidecam 2000 Pro. Get it here:

http://www.nantofx.com/nanto_fx_studios_-_portfolio_-1.html

(click on the gfx below the "Download Steadycam Test #1..windows media only)
Old October 22nd, 2002, 10:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

What wide angle lens did you use on the parade video? Looks good.

Tom
Tom Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 02:10 AM   #13
Regular Crew

to Pcenginefx

very nice footage, I am impressed.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 04:08 AM   #14
Major Player

It is the Canon WD-58 0.7x58 wide angle.

Wish I could see that Steadycam movie but I have a Powerbook 667 DVI laptop, a truly great laptop. Butter smooth full screen 720x480 Quicktime files look fantastic, also the same goes for MPEG2 files.

By retracting the legs of my tripod with the legs outwardly extended as a stand and using the extended neck as a handle it seems to work extremely well also. Hmmmm....
Old October 23rd, 2002, 10:03 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Ok, for people who can't view WM files...here is an mpeg version of my steadycam demo 1:

http://www.nantofx.com/steadycam/steadycam-demo1.mpg (60MB)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders