gl2 autofocus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 23rd, 2002, 01:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

gl2 autofocus

when you have the camera set in manual, is there a way to quickly press a button in order to auto focus? i see a button that's marked auto/manual focus but i'm not sure if this button can be used for a quick focus lock (there's a button like this on my old vx1000).

mb4
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 01:48 PM   #2
Trustee

Yeah that should work. I just tried it on my gl2. Focussed on something close (in manual focus mode). Moved the camera to point at something more distance that was out of focus and hit the button - poppped into focus - hit it again and now that was the focused point the original point is now out of focus.
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 01:59 PM   #3
Trustee

Aaron

You lost me on the last line...

..."hit it again and now that was the focused point the original point is now out of focus."

could you elaborate for me?

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 03:06 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

mb4,
Yes, indeed, you can (and often should) use the auto/manual focus button on the lens to quickly snap and lock focus. Starting from manual focus, zoom-in on your main subject, press the auto/manual button to let the camera grab focus, then press it again t switch back to manual focus and zoom-out to frame your scene.

I think that this is the same procedure that Aaron posted and that it answers your question. My motto: When in doubt try it out!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 05:24 PM   #5
Trustee

Holy cow, I can't understand that myself. That's what I get for typing when I just got out of bed and could hardly see the screen. Anyway, what I meant was

"hit it again - the camera goes back into manual mode and the focus is locked at the new focus (far object), so if I point the camera at the original point (the close object) it's now out of focus.

Sorry about that! ARRGH!

BTW: Barry, I really like the XM2 :)
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders