Shutter vs Aperture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 12th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #1
New Boot

Shutter vs Aperture

When in manual mode you have a choice of whether to fix shutter or aperture to obtain correct exposure.
On a bright day if I fix shutter at 1/50 (XM2) then I have to engage ND filter to correctly expose using aperture.
Or I can fix aperture at say f5.6 and use shutter to expose correctly without using ND.
Just wondering if there is a preferred method - fix shutter or aperture.
Not bothered about DoF or clear slo-mo.

Mel.
Mel Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Correct answer: both. Anybody care to elaborate?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 01:27 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

My own bias with video cameras is to primarily use aperture to control exposure, employing an ND filter if necessary. Adjusting the shutter speed can lead to some unwanted strobing or stuttering.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 04:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Right, so the lowdown on this is that if you adjust your f-stop, you will lose depth of field, and if you adjust shutter, you will get stroby artifacts. Now most of what I do is based in a desire to get a filmlook, so, if you do anything other that 1/60 shutter, you will have a worse time going to 24p. 1/60 is the best shutter for the conversion. And similarly, a shallow DOF is filmic and desirable, so a low aperture is good.

For a program mode, I choose the TV and keep it on 60. But otherwise I pick a manual mode and use ND filters to make sure I can keep the aperture open for DOF and the shutter low for future conversions.

But on a recent thread I heard that the best visual effect, to really make it pop on a television, is a 1/250 shutter and the frame mode.

Actually, if you aren't worried about DOF, then anything will work, but that's my input.

DJ
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Davies
When in manual mode you have a choice of whether to fix shutter or aperture to obtain correct exposure.
On a bright day if I fix shutter at 1/50 (XM2) then I have to engage ND filter to correctly expose using aperture.
Or I can fix aperture at say f5.6 and use shutter to expose correctly without using ND.
Just wondering if there is a preferred method - fix shutter or aperture.
Not bothered about DoF or clear slo-mo.

Mel.
Hey Mel,

I would strongly suggest that you ALWAYS use a ND filter whenever you are shooting outside. It not only cuts the amount of light getting to your lens but it helps to make your skies blue as opposed to white. Not as good as a polarizing filter, but it does help. The shutter will also help bring down your exposure but I use it mostly to soften a background or minimize the roll when shooting a computer screen. These are two totally different options and I encourage you to learn the ins and outs of both. But both can be utilized with great effect and affect when shooting in bright light and you need to limit the light entering the lens and want to acheive a softer and greater DOF.

Long day, and I don't know if this makes sense, but I tried.....

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:03 AM   #6
Wrangler

You should expirement a bit, try various ways under various lighting and determine the artistic merits of each, its limits, and which you prefer.
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #7
Old Boot

Stephanie, "It not only cuts the amount of light getting to your lens but it helps to make your skies blue as opposed to white. "

Oh yes. .. oh yes . . . Now I add filters plus a pola. I LOVE blue skies !

GRAZIE

Last edited by Graham Bernard; August 15th, 2005 at 03:10 PM.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders