AE shift? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 13th, 2005, 12:20 AM   #1
New Boot

AE shift?

my background. I film skateboarding which is a fast with filming. what do you think would be the best setting for that. My main question is: AE Shift. what exactly is it? I have mine set at 0, what will happen if I set it at -2.0 or +2.0??? ...sorry for the noob question .lol

I have a gl2
Austin Puskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #2
Wrangler

AE shift will skew the camera's algorithm for computing exposure. If you set it for +, it will auto expose at a higher level and conversely, - settings will reduce auto exposure. The main thing is that the exposure will still be maintained automatically but the AE shift allows you to dial in some personal preference based on what you are shooting or how you want it to look.

Hope I explained this clearly enough.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #3
New Boot

Yes. Thanks for replying so quickly too.
Also, CP another thing I have no clue about :S
Austin Puskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 01:09 AM   #4
Old Boot

CP - "Custom Preset"

This is a way to invoke tailor-made "certain" settings we can access by pressing the tiny CP button.

I use a preset for dark enviros. This in conjunction with my Paglight gets me going! But there are other functions you can assign to the CP. Once you have "collected" the assets and settings you want, these will stay with the CP until you change it OR you don't click it on.

Search on this site for others make use of presets and what settings are their favourites for their CPs .. have a rummage!

Read your manual to see what functions and settings you can assign - and have a play!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

As Graham suggested:

1. READ the manual. It's really very informative.

2. Experiment. It's generally quicker than asking people on the Internet "what will happen". Shoot and take notes on how you shot each clip. Then evaluate each shot ON A TELEVISION.

3. Then READ the manual again. You'll find that it makes more sense with even a bit of experience.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Austin,

Spend some time with your custom presets trying different settings. I have tried it in all directions. I have found for my work I keep the color gain down almost always, Sharpness I keep about centered, perhaps even down one. Color phase this time of year I put it up toward red one or two for outside and inside I bring it down one or two. Set up level is usually about centered.
I have found when I go in extremes in any direction I lose picture quality.

Dale
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders