Standby - ok to use a lot? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Standby - ok to use a lot?

Quick question - today I was filming a kids camp and I kept putting the camera on standby, and I was wondering whether this is a good or a bad thing. I kept having to run around, so I would shoot for maybe a minute, sometimes less, and then switch it back to standby, and I was wondering if that was bad for the camera. Should I just leave it on for a few minutes rather than constantly switching back-and-forth, back-and-forth? Or does this not make a difference? Thanks!
Steve Sirinides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:38 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't have an answer, but I wanted to say that I feel quite a bit of guilt when I flip back and forth between standby and lock. It seems like common sense would indicate that it's a bad thing, as it causes a few mechanical things to happen that wouldn't otherwise. The ND filter retracts, the motors stop and hum.

But then again, maybe it's built for it. I'm curious, too. You are not alone.
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:53 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Generally speaking, it's a "good thing". It conserves your battery power while preserving your current settings. But I wouldn't become too obsessive about leaving the camera powered-up idle for a few minutes. The GL2 will actually conserve its own power but shutting down the tape transport/recorder subsystem after a predetermined (but user-controllable) period of idle time.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 03:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sounds good to me, Ken. That is one thing I noticed, after spending the whole day filming - I still had half of my BP-945 battery left at the end of the day, and I still have extras in my case. I think tomorrow I'll spend more time in idle mode rather than continually switching to standby.
Steve Sirinides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 04:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

'Just to throw another option out there -- you can set the Custom Key to VCR Stop. Then you can force the transport to power down if you know you won't be recording for awhile, but leave the camera itself operational. This is really handy while setting up complex shots (think greenscreen).

Also, the camera recovers from this mode faster than standby since it only has to start up the transport, rather than reinitializing all of the electronics. The downside is that you're still putting some wear and tear on the tape mechanics.
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 07:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Dirty Head Message

Another take on this issue: I've noticed that when I get the "Dirty Head" message, it happens most often after leaving my GL2 on pause for an extended periods of time, i.e. shoot 20 seconds, pause 2-3 minutes, shoot 10 seconds, pause, etc.

So, going from standby (pause) to lock may prevent getting the dirty head message.
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #7
New Boot

It seems a choice between the "devil and the deep blue sea" as to whether to go to lock between shots or just pause.
As a ex tv and video engineer, both methods have their pro's and cons.
Leave it in pause and the tape stays laced up whirling around the same piece of oxide and gradually clogging up the heads and possibly wearing down the oxide layer. That is why cams and vids have a maximum time that the situation is allowed to persist before it goes into de-lace or shut down (depending on the option selected). I don't think there is anything wrong in this method providing it is used sparingly between shots (as one would do to change shooting position), but I would not recommend it for time nearing the cams automatic shutdown.
The other aspect of this is to put it in lock for non useage of several minutes. The tape will de-lace - some may say what about mechanical wear? Yes there will be some, but again the mechanics are being used and keeping them moving must be a good thing!

Mel.
Mel Davies is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders