PC recognizes Gls but cannot install at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PC recognizes Gls but cannot install

This is an updte to a previous thread- When I plug my GL2 into my PC, Window tries to install it but fails to because it cannot find "software for the device." This is driving me crazy- I have a 3400 dollar PC system and cannot get DV footage onto my PC- any help appreciated.

Windows XP
Pentium 4 Dual
250 RAID
Media Stiduo PRo 7
Tim Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Did you happen to install Windows Movie Maker with XP? I know XP likes to pop up those handy menus whenever it detects a new disc or media source (the "What would you like to do with this..." menus). Maybe it's expecting you to capture with WMM but can't find it.

I did have to use the CD-ROM that came with my GL2 to read the SD card (via USB), but that's the only GL2-specific driver I can think of.

'Just a shot in the dark. 'Hopefully someone else can give a more concrete answer.
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

When you say 'plug in' do you mean that you are using onboard firewire, or a capture card. I just finished building my NLE last week and I pulled my 'rather old and cheap' capture card out and XP was fine with it. I know in windows when you fire up your cam to play, XP will popup asking you what software you want to use. The same it does sometimes when you load a cd etc.

I guess I'm missing some information. What are you using in firewire/usb? And what software are you using. I have a GL2, so our systems should be similar.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have two on board Firewire ports configured for 800 speeds. I Use Media Studio Pro to capture, and usually this pops up when I plug in my firewire. Could the 800 config be the problem?
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:35 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Agnew
I have two on board Firewire ports configured for 800 speeds. I Use Media Studio Pro to capture, and usually this pops up when I plug in my firewire. Could the 800 config be the problem?
I would set stuff to defaults and see what happens. Also update all of your firmware, find an updated motherboard driver etc.

I read somewhere in my manual for my Gigabyte K8N SLi pro, that I have to switch my firewire to another setting, I said screw that and just put in a capture card. Considering the money you have in your machine, you could get a capture card and see if that solves your problem.

I wouldn't capture off the motherboard unless I had too.

Let me know how it goes.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Fred Retread

Tim, did you try the "cold reboot" of the GL2 I suggested?

Windows doesn't need any software for the GL2 in order to recognize it, it just needs to load it's own drivers in response to how the GL2 identifies itself. Once it does, it askes you what application you want to run, as Steven said.

"device" often refers to a specialized chipset. What evidence do you have that the computer's firewire ports are up and running?
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Fred:

What do you mean by "cold reboot"? I did turn off and on again- no luck. Canon told me the GL2 is not compatible with FW 800 so I may screwed. What are my options- someone mentioned capture cards- how easy is this to put in and what kind- I'm not familiar with this.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm not familiar with FW800 (i.e. IEEE1394B) and if it is backwards-compatible to 400 (aka IEEE1394A), but I believe I got my card off of eBay for about $20, maybe less. It's just a basic PCI OHCI-compatible Firewire card -- no analog capture features, no hardware acceleration, just plain and simple.

If you're not comfortable opening the computer case, I'm sure you could find a knowledgeable techie friend who is, and with XP it's quite straightforward. Just make sure you determine whether you need a PCI or PCI Express card, as they are not interchangeable.

The "cold boot" Fred mentioned meant removing the button battery from the GL2 for a few minutes (found behind the LCD screen). Also, do you have any other Firewire devices you could try, just to make sure that the ports/cable are working?
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Yes- the port are working as I plug a Lacie 800 harddrive into it and it zings. Did not try the cold boot, but doubt that would work.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 05:07 PM   #10
Fred Retread

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what I was told by some drone at Canon. It seems to me that IEEE1394b should be backward compatible to IEEE1394. The IEEE guys care about things like that.

If I were you I'd try the cam on a regular 1394 port to make sure everything is okay on the cam end (but of course if I were you I would have tried the cold boot even if it had a 0.01% chance of working).

By the way, where did the cable you're trying to use with the GL2 come from. It has to be a 9-pin to 4-pin, right?
Old August 22nd, 2005, 05:19 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Fred- nope, checked the cable, even bought another- it's a 4-6pin. I tried both ports, but no luck. I can use the GL2 on any other PC throgh firewire so it's not the Gl2 which is new. I cannot believe Canon either. It's hard to fathom that a new PC can not accept a device when every other PC works fine with the GL2. I'm researching this and even the PC maker is baffled. I hate to have to install another card... let me know if you get any tips.

Thanks
Old August 22nd, 2005, 05:23 PM   #12
Fred Retread

As I said above (I was editing my post while you were responding), doesn't it have to be a 9-pin to 4-pin? Check this out:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=606&sku=50708
Old August 22nd, 2005, 05:58 PM   #13
Regular Crew

MMM...this Firewire 800 is really new. Judging by your link, you have to have a Firewire 800 cable. Perhaps 1394 cables will not work. But the cable I'm using is the one that came with the Lacie drive, which is a Firewire 800 harddrive. Now, the port on my PC is, I believe, I six pin port- but will the 9 pin fit- it sure looks like the same size. I'm confused- what say you? If it is the wrong cable, why does Windows respond by finding the GL2 but saying it cannot find the software?
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:40 PM   #14
Regular Crew

ASASASASAAASAS
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:06 PM   #15
Fred Retread

Are you saying that the cable that runs your Firewire 800 drive also fits into the GL2?

BTW, What does your last post mean??

I just sent a query to Cables to Go asking if a 6-pin connector is the same size as a 9-pin connector.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders