PC recognizes Gls but cannot install - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:34 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Sorry, Fred- the last post is me getting sloppy.

No, the only cable that will fit is the normal 1394 one. There is no Firewire cable that will fit the Gl2, as you've said, because it must be nine pin.
I found this on another link:

I got my GL2 yesterday and have been trying to hook it up to the PC to edit some footage in premiere.. When I plug in the camera and turn it on I always get the same yellow exclamation point in the device manager of winXP.. It won't find a driver automtatically and if you force install an AVC device driver that is included with windows it produces a code 10 error "The connected device will not start." I have searched EVERYWHERE for a solution and have only managed to find two others with the same problem. Here is my system setup and the attempts I have made to fix it.

WinXP Pro
MSI KT-266A Pro-2RU mobo
Athlon XP 1700+
ATI All in Wonder Radeon (POS!)
Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer (w/ 1394 connection)
24x burner, 6x DVD, Network Card, Cable modem, cordless mouse and keyboard
3x Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200rpm
Canon GL2

"I have tried two firewire (1394) cards, the audigy and a Power Magic ALi1394, both install perfectly fine and have been used for DV before on other cameras, as well as home networking. Both of the cards are OHCI compliant and should be able to handle the video transfer as previous DV cams have. I noticed that the other cameras I used immediately and automatically installed as AVC devices in the device manager with no issues or hassles. Canon states that they do not release drivers for DV cameras and that the only drivers neccessary are 1394 card drivers supplied by the manufacturer. Since both of these 1394 cards are essentially generic, they use the built in winXP drivers.

Any ideas how to fix this problem short of wasting $1,000 (or even $200) on another firewire card? I have all of the software I need, and only need the camera to be recognized by winXP. Since it is not recognized, Premiere says the device is either not connected or communication can't occur.

I would like to avoid buying other firewire cards because I see people constantly complaining about them and having driver conflicts with other software."

Apparently there are others who have this problem. I'm going to keep searching.
Tim Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:59 PM   #17
Fred Retread

I'm confused--I received a copy of another post of yours at my yahoo account saying that you were going to buy another cable tomorrow, but that post isn't here???? Anyway, that post said you were getting a 9 to 6 pin, but the GL2 takes a four pin. So you would need a 9 to 4 pin cable.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:02 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Sorry-I deleted that message becasue I realized there is no cable that will fit the gl2 (PC is 6 pin). I am still baffled- I'm still researching.

T
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:02 PM   #19
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Agnew
...No, the only cable that will fit is the normal 1394 one. There is no Firewire cable that will fit the Gl2, as you've said, because it must be nine pin....
The nine pin end goes in the computer port. Again, the GL2 takes a 4-pin connector.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:11 PM   #20
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Agnew
...I realized there is no cable that will fit the gl2 (PC is 6 pin)....
Tim, I don't get that statement.
First, are you sure the PC end is six pin? On the cable that came with the drive can you actually count only six contacts? I'm in the dark about Firewire 800, just going by the info at that Cables To Go link.
Second, I really don't understand the "no cable to fit the GL2" part
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:34 PM   #21
Fred Retread

Wait a minute...could it be that you have one 1394b port and one 1394a port? That would explain being able to plug in a 6-pin cable. And if you configured the 1394a port it for 800 MBPS I imagine that would be a major problem. Should be 400.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:50 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Retread
Wait a minute...could it be that you have one 1394b port and one 1394a port? That would explain being able to plug in a 6-pin cable. And if you configured the 1394a port it for 800 MBPS I imagine that would be a major problem. Should be 400.
Yes- the ports on my PC are two 6-Pin Firewire ports. Since Firewire cables have at least one 9-pin end, I cannot use it for the Gl2. In bios, I tried configuring the ports to 1394a but it did not seem to help.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:34 AM   #23
Fred Retread

Tim,

Right, the 6-pin ports are firewire. They are IEEE1394a firewire. 400MBPS firewire. Two pins supply power to an external device if it needs it, and four pins carry the data. The GL2 does not need power from the computer so it only has a four pin connector. So a DV cable with 6 pins on one end and 4 pins on the other is a firewire cable and is the correct firewire cable to connect the GL2 to you computer.

We were only talking about a 9-pin connectors because you said you had Firewire 800. If you have 6-pin ports, that's not Firewire 800. If you're using a Firwire800 capable external drive, it must be backward compatible and running in 1394a mode. It does prove that things are okay at the computer end.

The next important thing to know is whether the GL2 will work with another computer. If so, then it's a sofware issue. If not, it may be that the DV connector on the GL2 is fried, but I do wish you'd try the cold boot. Haven't you ever had a computer lock up on you for no good reason, but was fine after rebooting?
Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:37 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Fred:

Tried the cold reboot on the Gl2 with no luck yesterday. I am going to try putting the 1394b back to 1394a and reboot the pc to see what happens. The Gl2 works great on any other PC so it's not Gl2.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM   #25
Fred Retread

The GL2 has worked on another computer SINCE not working on your new computer? If so, that's great. This may come down to just needing to reinstall Windows, or even running windows update.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:37 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Yes, this is since the problem with the new PC. I captured some DV on another PC just fine.

I just did a reinstall of Windows- and have all the updates. I have Polywell searching for a solution.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:57 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Tim, what is the model number for the motherboard in your system? I'm confused by the fact that you have a BIOS setting for IEEE1394A/IEEE1394B, though your ports are only 6-pin.

Also, when you plug in the GL2, do you get the little "DV IN" indicator in the viewfinder?

Edit: Who is Polywell?
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:12 AM   #28
Regular Crew

955xk
Yes, I do get the DDV in on the camera...
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:56 AM   #29
Regular Crew

OK, I found the manual for your board (the Intel Desktop Board D955XBK, right?). It looks like you do have both IEEE1394A and IEEE1394B ports, and from what I could gather there's one of each on the front of the case, and one A port on the back. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Potentially the front ports could be goofed up by reversing the connecting cables inside (as they use the same size plug). Where do you have the GL2 plugged in? I'd try the back one as it is soldered directly to the mobo and is specifically a 6-pin IEEE1394A port, then select 1394A in the BIOS (I couldn't find any info on that part).

Since you did get the "DV IN" indicator, I suspect that you may already have it set up this way, but it's worth a try. The FW800 drive must be plugged into the front 9-pin port then?

Fred, if you'd like to take a look at the manual it can be found here:
ftp://download.intel.com/support/mot...9866601_en.pdf

We'll get this thing working yet!
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:43 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I see ports 1 and 2 in the bio- but I don't know which is which- i.e. front or back. I think the tech guy said port 2 is the front. Let me look at the manual.

Really appreciate you guys helping out.
Tim Agnew is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders