Sony TRv950 or Canon GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 6th, 2002, 12:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony TRv950 or Canon GL2

This may be a no-brainer. But, I've narrowed my search to these two cameras. From what I've read the GL2 is a better camera, but I was wondering if there is any incentive to go with the TRV950 instead. I'd appreciate any of your opinions.
John Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 12:28 PM   #2
Wrangler

The GL-2 is a better cam, but I believe it costs more too.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2002, 01:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

There is no eason to prefer the sony above the canon imho. The lens and easy to use way of the canon is unique.
Dirk Goris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2002, 01:44 PM   #4
Major Player

I believe the Sony has nightvision and may have the edge on resolution, although you probably could not notice. Check out the video frame called "GL2 Church Lady" on this web page:

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum8.html

According to Videomaker Magazine the GL2 has 510 lines and the Sony TRV950 has 530 lines.
I hear the GL2 has the edge on low light performance however, not counting the TRV950 night vision which of course alters image quality. The GL2 has frame mode which gives a more film like quality, and also the 20x zoom wins over the TRV950 zoom.
I believe the Sony gives more video footage per unit of battery power, but I don't have the exact figures; you may want to look into this.

The GL2 may be a tad weaker in the yellow intensity department, although colors in general to me look most impressive. Colors can also be intensified and tint can be adjusted. I don't know if the TRV950 can do these things.
I notice some GL2 color bleed with colored neon lights at night on my computer LCD display.

I cannot give you any weak points of the Sony 950 because I do not own one. You may ask for weaknesses of the TRV950 on another forum section which deals with the Sony's. You may or may not get honest answers as I have tried to give, but good luck.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders