Sub-zero operation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 6th, 2002, 06:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sub-zero operation

The bottom end of the GL2 operating range is given as zero degrees celsius, and there are warnings aplenty of how cold and warm temperatures are a sure way to get condensation forming. So, I've got a few questions about how I can avoid this and still shoot some exterior stuff in the coming chilly months. (Assume clear weather - no precipitation, frozen or otherwise.)

1. How much leeway is there with that zero degrees figure?

2. What are the risks to the camera (regarding cold, not condensation)?

3. Could you concievably have a five-degree "holding area" nearby and run back-and-forth to your shooting location only when it's time for a take?

4. How would YOU go about it? (My most reasonable idea so far is to set up the camera on a tripod in the back of a cozy station wagon, opening it up when it's time to shoot. Unfortunately, I don't have reliable access to said station wagon.)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-j
Jay Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2002, 08:55 AM   #2
Trustee

I can tell you what the risks are at least. Ever notice how the roads get potholes after a freeze and a dethaw? Well it seems to me the risk would be the same - microscopic condensation would develop around the lens and viewfinder and possibly freeze. When it dethawed, it could create microfractures in the lens. That would be extremely bad.

I would say it's too risky to even try. I'm sure the lenses have some tolerance for this, but I don't know how much and if the lens does crack from frozen condensation with the manual telling you not to go below freezing, it'll undoubtedly void the warranty.

Having said that, if you had some kind of portable heat source I suppose you could do it then.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders