Great Canon Service at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Great Canon Service

I shipped my GL2 to the Canon Service Center in New Jersey on November 14. It was delivered to them on November 15 at 2 p.m. I received their estimate November 17. My GL2 is already at the local Fed Ex distribution center waiting to be delivered to my home. I expect to receive it later today (November 23). Only 10 days to get my camera repaired, including shipping it both ways. I think that is great service!

Just thought you might want to hear a good story about Canon service. I bet there are a lot more good news stories, but the tendency is to post only when there is a problem.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

good to hear. what kind of repairs was it sent in for? i've had my gl2 for 8 months now and it's almost due a cleaning.
Neil Camero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I sent my GL2 in yesterday because the left channel on the onboard mic was screwing up. It had what seemed to be like a bad connection (it was staticy). Anyway, I'll post how long it takes to get mine back, and how I think they did. I was impressed however about the phone call to Canon, they were very helpful.
Brett Whited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:33 PM   #4
Wrangler

Not so loud Mike, the Canon bashers might hear you <g>.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 06:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Reason GL2 sent in for repair

I've used the GL2 as the primary camera for weddings since July, 2004, without ever needing a repair. The main reason for sending my GL2 to Canon was for preventive maintenance, just for cleaning and alignment. I also had them look at the headphone input because it seemed to short out when the headphone jack was jiggled after insertion (my own fault--several times I've walked away from the camera while wearing headphones that were still connected to the GL2! So the cause was mental fatigue instead of metal fatigue...).

Here are the repairs Canon made:
"Replaced idler gear ass'y, drive gear ass'y, head phone jack and mic jack. Performed tape path adjustment, cleaned head and tape path, general checked and cleaned." Total charge was $272.64, which was a $240 minimum charge plus sales tax and shipping.

My camera did arrive today by 3 p.m., only 10 days from the day I shipped it. Usually it takes 18 to 21 days.

Note: I've noticed that many repairs are covered by the minimum charge. The only repair to my GL2 or GL1's that has not been covered by the minimum charge was replacing the CCD assembly on a GL1 (to fix dead pixels). That cost $655 including sales tax and shipping.
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #6
ChorizoSmells

The Canon Service Center is just one subway stop from my house. I've always had great repairs from them, I usually ask to speak with the techs. The fastest turnaround time was when I took it in to get new heads put it, took it in on a tuesday, had it back in my hands by friday. The first time I went there I was running late, they close at 6pm but I was talking with the reception staff by cell phone and listening to their directions and they were keeping the door open for me, got there at 6:10. The Osaka Canon Service Center rocks! (Morinomiya branch)

BTW I had the XL-1 in for those repairs not the GL2.
Old November 24th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle

thanks

Mike,

For someone like myself who has only had the gl2 for 9 months and about 30 hours of film time, hearing all the horor stories, this has been rather refreshing to hear.

Gus
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I brought mine in with what I thought was a problem with the power switch. I took it in on a Thursday afternoon, and they even put a rush on it and I got it back the following tuesday. Wife was used to old Canon camera where you used a back switch to turn it on, but on the GL2 it's for lock mode. So nothing wrong with the switch, but they replaced the switch nonetheless, did maintenance on it, cleaned it, and replaced the eject switch assembly all at no charge to me.

Brought in another older camera I gave to my parents (Optura10). The whole eject compartment was crushed and not under warranty, fixed and even aligned heads, cleaned. Took 7 days in all there and back and charged only $120CAD for the job.

Not bad for service in my books.

Sean
http://pages.infinit.net/cybrmonk/
Montreal, Quebec
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sean Hansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders