ND filter causes LCD to go black at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 13th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #1
New Boot

ND filter causes LCD to go black

Big problem, need immediate solution. Going 8 days to Kodiak Ak, leaving the 28th, so don't really have time to send to Canon. When I turn on the ND filter, or switch on manual focus about half of the time, the eyepiece/LCD fades to real dark or goes black. Seems like turning unit off/on makes it go away for now. Any suggestions PLEASE!
Terry Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Fred Retread

For flukey behavior like that I'd try removing the button cell battery to force a "cold boot" of the cam's electronics.
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #3
New Boot

OK, tried that and it WORKED,(so far). Now if you can tell me how to get my equipment on as hand carry, I'll be really appreciative. I'm checking other forums and it dosn't look good for two backpacks of gear to get in my overhead bin:( Maybe by the end of the month some since will be made of this and every body will calm down.
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Flying DV gear

I fly with my DV gear quite a bit. Since I'm limited to one carry-on and one backpack or bag, I usually carry on my DVX100 in snug Petrol bag (it meets carry-on size requirements) and my PowerBook in a Targus backpack.

A tripod would have to be pretty small to carry on- I put my Bogen along with 2 chimeras/stands & a few other things in an SKB case built for flying golf clubs and check that, along with a canvas "grip" bag full of cables, clamps, etc. I usually fly with a partner so they check our luggage bags.

When I have to bring more than this (backdrops, grip stuff) I ship it UPS both ways.

It's worked so far; it's a pain in the neck to fly with or without equipment. If your GL2 is in a small bag you can carry it on fine.
Old August 14th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #5
New Boot

Spoke too soon, the black out w/ND filter on is back again. Any other ideas?

What I was refering to on airline travel, is the current situation where electronic gear is being required to be checked.
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #6
Major Player

Not required to check if you can carry it on within the dimensional restrictions & item limit.
Old August 31st, 2006, 10:14 AM   #7
New Boot

Well, we're in Kodiak. Camera worked fine for about 15 min. Got on the float plane, filmed takeoff and every thing went black AGAIN! Real quirky, turn it off for a few min, remove all bateries, film for 30 sec and black again. Seems to do it with ND filter on or off. Must be something loose inside?? It seems like these things are real good by some folk and real not so good by others. Guess it will go back to Canon when we get back. Real bummer this go.
Terry Arnold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders