Dropped my "new" GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:48 AM   #1
New Boot

Dropped my "new" GL2

My band was filming our music video during a live show and my "new" GL2 was elected to be put on the boom since the other cameras that we were working with wouldn't fit. Halfway during our set, the boom bracket fell off with my camera on it. It hit a girl on the way down, which, needless to say, probably saved my camera from ultimate doom.

The camera APPEARS to be totally fine. Every function seems to work, it records and plays back fine. The only thing I know that is wrong with it is that the bottom casing part where a tripod would screw in is severly cracked and messed up. Luckily, it looks as if I can unscrew it and replace it. Are there any stores or anything that I can purchase this part, or is it more difficult then that?

(BTW, I say "new" GL2 because even though this camera was slightly used when I purchased it, I only had it for 4 days before this happened. First post on DVinfo, too ^_^!)
Kevin Laster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Hmm...how's the girl? No law suits I hope? :-)

Well, first, congrats on your 'new' camera. It's a good one! Enjoy!

Next, there may be somewhere to buy those kinds of repair parts, but if there is, I don't know about it. Anyway, if I knew about it, I'd still probably send it back to Canon for the repairs. Since you bought it second hand AND it's been dropped, there's a good chance you'll need more than just the plate replaced. Canon will go through it and make sure everything is up to factory specs bafore they send it back. For me, I've nothing but good experiences using Canon Factory Service.

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders