GL2 trade in question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 27th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 trade in question

My GL2 is in mint condition with a WD58 wide angel lens. I want to trade it in for a HD cam. Does anyone have any idea what a good trade in price would be.
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #2
Wrangler

Surf e-bay for current listings to get an idea as to current going prices on private sales. Recognize that a dealer will offer much less in a trade.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
Surf e-bay for current listings to get an idea as to current going prices on private sales. Recognize that a dealer will offer much less in a trade.
I agree. You might do better to sell it and then apply that money to the new purchase.
Old June 17th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Offered only $700.00

I was offered only a $700.00 trade-in by a major camera store in Toronto. I think I will keep my GL2 as a second camera.
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Used cameras are still going for 1500 on ebay. It's amzing they are still holding a lot of there value.
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #6
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Clark View Post
Used cameras are still going for 1500 on ebay. It's amzing they are still holding a lot of there value.
Yes, Todd, that's not been lost on me either!

Interesting that a store will "buy-in" for $700? That has to be meaning EITHER that they have an immediate buyer for it; OR they are going to take a "hit" on the new purchase; OR they can eBay it; OR they have a further trade-in deal locally/nationally; OR it is being kept by themselves? Dunno?

What IS spectacularly fascinating is that this store OBVIOUSLY feels there IS value within this camera's 5 year old technology to want to purchase it for $700. A store does NOT do that unless it has a sound/good reason - yeah? After all, a sale IS a sale? Isn't it? Why SHOULD it do a trade in at all? Oh yes, and the camera's been used too!

Very interesting. Very interesting indeed!!!

OK, the XM2, with its gear wheel and roller tape-technology; its "worn-looking" SD capabilities; its 1/4 chip "peering" into the gloom of an event; its comparatively small LCD and non-XLR-ed options, will yet still, IMO, be floating about the planet for some time to come! Like those Global Yellow Plastic Ducks.

All of the above, once again, tells me that this market is very fluid.

Do I want HD? Yes - yes I do! I want it as a valuable technology and opportunity to expand my repertoire.

However, NOT being a broadcaster OR major league supplier of DVDs of my own work - my stuff is accessed either through the net OR is used internally by large corps, and their needs are still, blindly/reluctantly only SD. And yes, there WILL come a time when this will change. In my small niche, that time will most likely come when I decide to expand outwards. Presently I can't see my market "forcing" me there. When I see that coming/happening, I'll jump. I have wedding and event chums, and when I ask them about their own "jump", the response is -"Nobody is asking for it". For others, doing the HD upgrade, it is a "must-do" and truly a must have - I understand that. All I am saying is that there is STILL a vast swathe of "others", probably the majority, who are plugging away in SD and for that very reason are keeping the 2nd hand SD market buoyant. That's all! I'm not saying anything about skills or the pro-ness of what they do - I'm just making the point that it is keeping the market boyant.

If I had to buy new now? And if I could physically "wear" an XL2, I would purchase one. It stays within the "SD to PC" stable that I have the technology for, and as I said, presently my market ain't expanding INTO HD. As soon as I get wind of this need for HD, it would be an HD purchase. PERIOD! It is the same as when I decided to buy DV. I saw the ease and value of SD-DV, over and above that of analog. I invested in SD-DV and have gotten my technology kinda "straight" and level around this format. But as the technology becomes faster and more seamless to previewing in the way I want, then HD it will be. Again, the prices WILL come down and for more and more valuable functionality. Look at the downward pressure of the SONY range? Those large CMOS small-cameras are amazing! And yes, I think a 30% drop could have been taken out of the A1, and Canon would have cleaned-up. Lost a major finesse there Canon!! But what do I know. I bet the A1 sales are doing just fine as they are.

Again, these are reasons I feel our XM2 market is still buoyant.

And don't forget, that the other reason is that the initial purchase was just so low to start with. The XM2, then, with all its great outta-the-box options, was a remarkable purchase: 20x optical zoom; adjustable audio levels and 2-channel meters in 3 places!; that Canon glass; plus the weight and "feel", made for me, a camera that was just so brimming with skills-creation options that this can't be being lost on others "needing" "wanting" to get into this crazy biz - that they are TOO driving down the entry level qualifier or starter prices but are wanting 20x optical, audio monitoring etc etc . . And again, this must be adding to the 2nd hand XM2 market being kept afloat.

Of course, this "buoyant" period is limited. And yes, it will get shorter. But maybe, just maybe, we have already witnessed the first rush to "sell" and mop-up. We are now in a longer, second period of "Well, if that's all a can get for it, I'll keep my XM2 as a 2nd camera". Maybe. Again, what do I know? But all of this, IMO, adds to what is a not yet a dead 2nd hand XM2 market.

Last month on eBay an XM2 was sold from Canon's Refurb shop for £1470.00! That's like £30 quid more than my supplier! Oh, whats that I see? It isn't in stock? Maybe THAT'S a clue to the buoyant 2nd-hand XM2 market?

And yes, I DO want HD!

Regards,

Grazie

ps: Oh! The Yellow Duck thing? 10 years on . . http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3060579.stm
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders