Canon GL2 Picture Quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 26th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon GL2 Picture Quality

In my first leap to semi-professional video equipment, I recently ordered a used Canon GL2 from B&H Photo Video. The rating was the best possible for a used camera. But upon first using the camera, I am not as shocked and awed as I was expecting to be after seeing the camera's picture quality. Is it possible I was scammed, or that the camera lost quality somehow in its few hours of previous use? Does anyone have tips on how I can achieve the superb quality I desire? I've seen some of the wonderful work of other GL2 users, is it possible my camera is simply not as good as theirs?
Craig Brunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I would guess that it's most likely that you just need to learn how to get the most from the camera. I've been using GL2's for about 4 years, and I know that my footage now looks better than it did 4 years ago. Also, a lot of the footage you see others showing has been color corrected and had saturation and contrast filters applied to sweeten the look. Keep that in mind, learn the manual settings on the camera, and good luck!
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I would guess that it's most likely that you just need to learn how to get the most from the camera. I've been using GL2's for about 4 years, and I know that my footage now looks better than it did 4 years ago. Also, a lot of the footage you see others showing has been color corrected and had saturation and contrast filters applied to sweeten the look. Keep that in mind, learn the manual settings on the camera, and good luck!
Good advice. The GL2 is a great camera to hone your skills on.
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, it's all about lighting and a million other things, but once you see this camera at it's best, you'll see what all the fuss is about. I've seen some beautiful images come out of it for sure.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Good evening,

All the above is correct!! Once you know how to get the best out of it the footage is better than most cams. I shoot an xl2 too and I have seen footage out of the gl2 every bit as good as the xl2!!

Practice, practice practice!!

and yes, lighting plays a huge part of it!!!

Have some fun learning its personality.
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It is possible that something is wrong. I have two Gl2's and one has been giving me problems. It is good to have two so you can compare. For me at least. One of them just does not have the punch or should I say crisp clean image it used to. I sent it to Canon and they say they fixed it but it is still not like it was when it was new.
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #7
Wrangler

And watch the internal preset settings for color, etc. They can have a major effect on the image seen on tape. It is not just a simple point-and-shoot camcorder.
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #8
Old Boot

Attach BOTH to their AV Cabling and alternating, plug each one separately into a well calibrated TV and compare. That's what I would do.

And as Don says, make sure your Presets are set to zero.

BTW? You haven't got a separate filter screwed to one of them - have you?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #9
Regular Crew

That's a good idea Graham. I do shoot with a custom preset applied but both have the axact same settings. I need to do some extensive testing but the frustarting part is that Canon already looked at it so who knows if it can be fixed.
Todd Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders