HV20 shutter wobble test - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 6th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #16
Major Player

Hmmm. The clip has only one small instance of wobbling in the beginning part. And it's so small that most people won't see it. I've done harder tracking with the hc1 and I've never had any problems with the rolling shutter, except that it looks horrible. But I haven't run into compositing troubles because of it just yet.

On the other hand, those saying that these kinds of movements would be no-no with a ccd-camera are dead wrong. With the hv20 it will look like a small wobble, with a regular shutter it will just jump up a bit. More natural and definitely more useable.

I'll post some of my action composite shots from the hc1 soon.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:33 AM   #17
Major Player

Guys... I'm not saying I want to track shots where I jerk the camera around. I simply did the jerking so that I could get the MOST wobble from the camera so I could see the the difference between the various shutter settings. My un-scientific conclusion is that shutter speed doesn't matter, you'll get the same amount of wobble or at least some wobble, so I have no idea why I can't get 24p to solve but can get 60i to work.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. Thompson View Post
Do you mean when you deinterlace and downsize the picture you are able to get better results with matchmoving? I've read this before somewhere else but am wondering how this works.

I have also seen some footage (maybe a couple of months ago) with (I forget the name of the software) that was able to do some matchmoving with very wobbly video.
That's right Ian. 60i HDV is actually the same as 1440x540 60p so I don't believe you are losing any resolution by resizing the 60i to 960x540 60p, I could be wrong but that's been my experience. You not only get full frames but you get square pixels. You also get the quality benefits of down-sampling. I use After Effects to convert each field into a frame and resize the video.

Also, if you are only viewing your video on progressive displays then 60p is going to look much better than 60i.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders