Hv10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Hv10

Having had this camera now for a few months i can honestly say that it was a good buy,
I bought it to download footage shot on my XLH1 on to my computer, but i now find myself using it for filming were space is limited and places were the XLH1 might be to big and iam very impressed by the quality the camera produces

It might not have all the bells and whistles that its big brother has but for picture quality it works well with the XLH1
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #2
Major Player

How do you find its image quality compared to the XLH1? I'm not talking about low light or DOF because those differences are to be expected. How does the two compare in an environment when there is enough light to film without any digital gain?

I'm thinking of getting a XHA1 for my wedding business but now thinking about getting a HV20 + Letus Extreme and use that setup as a specialty camera for wedding coverage.

I'm also finding the photo mode on the HV10 to be great! This is my first HDV coming from a DVX100 and GL2 so pardon me for being an HD newb! :-D

I shot these with my HV10 in the photo mode.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2132/...f46bd6e5_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2419/...6c01b586_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2096/...338f48cb_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2098/...e232a5c8_o.jpg

One disappointment though - the HV10 has a f1.8 lens but in photo mode it only opens up to f2.8.. HUGE difference! :( Anyone know why this is?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post

One disappointment though - the HV10 has a f1.8 lens but in photo mode it only opens up to f2.8.. HUGE difference! :( Anyone know why this is?
This is strange. The HV20 takes pics opened up to f1.8..so i thought the HV20 would as well.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Yang

The the HV10 does match its big brother well in good light, iam viewing my footage on a cheap HDV tv through the component connection not the HMDI
socket

The XLH1 is better (and should be for the price) but the little camera has supprised me with its quailty
Old November 11th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Yang

I think using the HV10, HV20 although remarkable as they are for weddings as your main camera might not go down well with your customers, they might think after paying all that money out! uncle joe has one like that at home

They just look more like a Home camcorder than a pro one, better to go with the XHA1 for main camera and the HV10 as backup

only my thoughts
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #6
Major Player

Ian: but an HV20 on rails + Letus extreme + manual Nikon lens.. now what's a beast!
Yang Wen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders