Final Cut 6.0.2 and HV20 Workflow - Questions about Supposed 1080-24f Easy Setups. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 17th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #16
Trustee

Anton,

Didn't realize that in the compressor. I will take a look, thanks.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #17
Contributor

it's only in the latest version of compressor (FCS 2), it's hidden under the frame controls>(de)interlacing options, the last one is reverse telecine.
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Its really not to bad with the new version of compressor... I just made a dropplet app that removes the pull down. So once I capture (1080i60), a couple key strokes with quicksilver and away it goes... Really painless.

These are the hoops you have to jump through when you try and make a sub 1k camera play with the big boys... :) worth it, IMHO
Scott Aubuchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Aubuchon View Post
Its really not to bad with the new version of compressor... I just made a dropplet app that removes the pull down. So once I capture (1080i60), a couple key strokes with quicksilver and away it goes... Really painless.

These are the hoops you have to jump through when you try and make a sub 1k camera play with the big boys... :) worth it, IMHO
Scott, what do you mean by droplet app? Is it an automator thing? It would be awesome if you could explain how you have that setup. Thanks!
Stefan Szabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #20
Regular Crew

You can create dropplets in the new compressor that are little application.

I'm headed out for the moment, but when I get back tonight I will do a screen cast capturing my workflow... hopefully it will help clear a lot of things up, stay tuned.
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Ok, as promised... here is a video detailing my PF24 work flow:

http://thatsawesome.tv/PF24.mov (11:37 - 214mb)

Disclaimers:

- I am not a professional, so some things may not be 100% accurate
- I did this on the fly, please don't mind my ramblings
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:36 PM   #22
Major Player

Scott,
Thanks very much for that tutorial about Droplets in Compressor.
It gives me a 4x3 rather than 16x9 (maybe I need to go back and re watch)
so I set the size to be 1920x1080 and it looks great, but
I notice that diagonal lines are very jagged
and the file size is 5x more (this happens with pro Res)
I am almost tempted to use the deinterlace in Qt Pro (under Window>Movie Properties...Video)
It's immediate & you lose a bit of Res perhaps, but same file size

But you have me thinking,
There has to be a better way with Compressor
Thanks again for the info,
J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM   #23
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton View Post
Scott,
Thanks very much for that tutorial about Droplets in Compressor.
It gives me a 4x3 rather than 16x9 (maybe I need to go back and re watch)
so I set the size to be 1920x1080 and it looks great, but
I notice that diagonal lines are very jagged
and the file size is 5x more (this happens with pro Res)
I am almost tempted to use the deinterlace in Qt Pro (under Window>Movie Properties...Video)
It's immediate & you lose a bit of Res perhaps, but same file size

But you have me thinking,
There has to be a better way with Compressor
Thanks again for the info,
J

It only looks 4x3 in Quicktime, because Quicktime is not correcting for the pixel aspect ratio. If you bring the Pro Res footage into a 1080p23.98 sequence in FCP 6.0 you will see a 1920x1080 frame.

Remember HDVs native resolution in SQUARE pixels is 1440x1080, which has an aspect ratio of 1.333333, or, 4x3.

Final Cut will automatically do pixel aspect ratio conversion to the proper 16x9 aspect ratio. Similarly, within Quicktime -> Item Properties -> video Track -> View Options there is a 'view at' where you can set the "display" pixels. This will basically do what FCP does with the pixel aspect ratio conversion.

So rather than making up 480 pixels that arent there (1920 - 1440) within compressor and bloating your Pro Res output by that amount, keep the same number of pixels and change the pixel aspect ratio in Compressor to HDV, o redit the final output movie to be 1920x1080 VIEWABLE within the item properties for the video track.

HTH.
Anton Marini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:19 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
So rather than making up 480 pixels that arent there (1920 - 1440) within compressor and bloating your Pro Res output by that amount, keep the same number of pixels and change the pixel aspect ratio in Compressor to HDV...
John, this could also be why you are getting jagged edges...?

I see no jagged edges in my footage, but I am keeping the pixel aspect as HDV.
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:29 PM   #25
Contributor

its been awhile, bit I had done some testing with outputing back to 1440x1080 vs outputing to 1920x1080, and the file sizes were more or less identical, sharpness didnt seem to be different either
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:32 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Marini View Post
It only looks 4x3 in Quicktime, because Quicktime is not correcting for the pixel aspect ratio. If you bring the Pro Res footage into a 1080p23.98 sequence in FCP 6.0 you will see a 1920x1080 frame.

Remember HDVs native resolution in SQUARE pixels is 1440x1080, which has an aspect ratio of 1.333333, or, 4x3.

Final Cut will automatically do pixel aspect ratio conversion to the proper 16x9 aspect ratio. Similarly, within Quicktime -> Item Properties -> video Track -> View Options there is a 'view at' where you can set the "display" pixels. This will basically do what FCP does with the pixel aspect ratio conversion.

So rather than making up 480 pixels that arent there (1920 - 1440) within compressor and bloating your Pro Res output by that amount, keep the same number of pixels and change the pixel aspect ratio in Compressor to HDV, o redit the final output movie to be 1920x1080 VIEWABLE within the item properties for the video track.

HTH.
Yes this is it perfectly !
I looks great - beautiful workflow
Thanks,
J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:40 PM   #27
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Meyers View Post
its been awhile, bit I had done some testing with outputing back to 1440x1080 vs outputing to 1920x1080, and the file sizes were more or less identical, sharpness didnt seem to be different either
were you changing the pixel aspect ratio or actually changing the pixel count? Im not sure what would happen, as I haven't tried it :) :)
Anton Marini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:33 PM   #28
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Aubuchon View Post
Ok, as promised... here is a video detailing my PF24 work flow:

http://thatsawesome.tv/PF24.mov (11:37 - 214mb)

Disclaimers:

- I am not a professional, so some things may not be 100% accurate
- I did this on the fly, please don't mind my ramblings
Thank you! That screencast was great!
David Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 02:04 PM   #29
Major Player

Thank you, Scott, the tutorial is very helpful. I have one newbie question:

Do you apply this workflow to individual clips before editing or can you build your entire movie and then go through the reverse telecine process?

It seems like it would be burdensome to do this with individual clips and then edit.

Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 02:37 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
Do you apply this workflow to individual clips before editing or can you build your entire movie and then go through the reverse telecine process?
Hmmm... interesting question. I don't think I have a good answer.

I always just convert all my captured footage first and then do my edits in a 24P timeline. My guess (I'm just thinking out loud) is that if you were working in a 1080i60 timeline with the captured footage, did all your cuts, etc... and then converted your footage, I think your edits would be messed up because your removing (or combining?) those interlaced frames. I really don't know... I would think you would want to work in a timeline the same as your output.

Were you talking about exporting a ref movie and then running that through compressor to remove the pulldown?

I'll have to try this and see, or maybe someone with more experience can clear this up.
Scott Aubuchon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders