Final Cut 6.0.2 and HV20 Workflow - Questions about Supposed 1080-24f Easy Setups. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 24th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #31
Contributor

I set the size to 1920 and the pixel aspect to square.

As far as editing before removing pulldown, you can do it either way, but it depends on your final format. A DVD will look fine, but a web movie will not.

You can remove pulldown with compressor as your outputing to m2v, this works pretty well, but again on a regular DVD/tv you can't tell

Check out:
http://file.meyersproduction.com/testdvd.img

That image has 3 versions of the same 24p footage, it was all edited in a 60i timeline and the track labeled "24p" had inverse telecine run on output to mpeg2.

Personally I remove pulldown prior to any editing since most work is primarily web based.

Potentially a better workflow is to do a very rough cut, and then use the media manager to to move only used clips and then remove pulldown on the resulting files and edit that (media manager will break each edit into a self contained clip)
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Meyers View Post
That image has 3 versions of the same 24p footage, it was all edited in a 60i timeline and the track labeled "24p" had inverse telecine run on output to mpeg2.
That clip actually looked the best on my Mac with DVD Player app.
Ian Albinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:34 AM   #33
Trustee

I tired briefly on Compressor 2's reverse telecine and it seems to work well, I'm posting a comparison between Cinematool's and Compressor 2's reverse telecine out from the same footage.

Here's the link.
http://www.onebikeguy.com/KakugyoBlo...t/Podcast.html

Last edited by Kaku Ito; January 2nd, 2008 at 06:47 AM.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #34
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Meyers View Post
As far as editing before removing pulldown, you can do it either way, but it depends on your final format. A DVD will look fine, but a web movie will not.
I think you must remove it before editing. Say you have 2 clips which are being faded from one to the other, with different cadences, how is the output going to know which cadence is correct? The cadence of one will be lost and when pulldown is done on the final output it will be incorrect.
James Blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #35
New Boot

Scott- Thanks!

Scott,
Thanks for posting the video.
It's made my life much easier.
Now I can focus on shooting, capturing, waiting... waiting... cutting.

As for the edit before/after... It's a toss up based on your conversion speed. If you have 5 hours of raw tapes captured, does it make sense to convert 5 hours when the roughcut would be an hour for a final edit of 20 minutes or less?

I would follow the media manage workflow mentioned above.
The caveat is that you offline HDV 60i, online with ProRes 24P. You'd capture your footage; do a rough cut with edits only (no transitions, effects, or alterations to footage). Once you're cut down to the "selects," then media manage to a new folder, and run that through compressor. Reimport the 24P footage back into the media managed timeline, and THEN start your online.

To the best of my knowledge, Media Manager does NOT Recompress frames. It duplicates the section of the file itself. The upside to the HDV rough cut is that you can back this up to HDV tape (print to tape) and connect your camera to an HDMI Widescreen TV and see a fairly good rendition of what's to come. (The print to tape adds a level of compression to the HDV, but its a rough cut.) Saves time on building a DVD for a rough cut... Most HDTVs are 1080i anyhow, so you're not losing.

FINAL THING: 24Frame is not 24P. The HV20 is 24P. Other, more expensive Canons are Frame. Use what you got, but I'm for true progressive, not frame. HV20 is a must have due to this.
Anthony Torres is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders