Canon VIXIA HF10 and HF100 flash memory HD cams - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 8th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #46
Major Player

I played with both cameras today at CES. Yes, the internal 16gb of memory is the only difference between the two models.

As you guys have suggested, the controls are very similar to the HV20 and I would imagine the manual focus cell phone trick would work but I didn't happen to bring a memory card with me to try it out. The joystick works just the same, press it to bring up mic and exposure controls. The Function button is on the LCD, as you can see in the pics, and you have all the same menu options and the interface is like the one on the HV20 and almost every other Canon consumer camera for the past couple of years.

The new LCD was noticeably clearer. The image quality was nice too. 24P looked a little funny though, I don't know if it was the new LCD, AVCHD compression, or both. I couldn't put my finger on it but it was just different looking from the 24P mode on my HV20. The image looked great though.

Also, it was TINY!!! Seems like a very convenient camera for travelers and I could just imagine it put together as a small 35mm adapter configuration.

I did see some footage on some LCD screens for the booth demo. The quality was good, normal 1080i HD 60i stuff. I wish I could have stayed to watch the demo again, I arrived when it was playing the last clip, but I promised my brother that we would stop by some of his booths over at the Sands and Venetian convention areas today.

Overall, I was sold up until I read that they were AVCHD cameras. I know the format's had some first generation blues as far as post and export goes, but I don't know, 24P and flash recording in a $1,000 to $1,100 package may be too much to pass up come April.
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Jack:

How about manual focus. How does one manually focus the camera ?
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #48
Major Player

You know, I honestly didn't have much time with it, crowd was breathing down my neck. But I think, not 100%, that when I was scrolling through the joystick menu, the focus was unfortuantely the with the exposure and mic settings like on the HG10 versus the little wheel on the HV20. =(

This may not be so bad if you're using a 35mm adapter, all you do is set the focus once for the camera's part, but I can see where rack focusing could be a problem when using the camera alone.
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #49
Major Player

The fact with manual focus is that the AF and IAF are so good you rarely need to adjust the focus wheel, usually you just have to hit manual focus to lock the focus. At least I find this to be true for what I do and I'd imagine it to be true for most shots. Sometimes the camera can't find focus on what you want so you do have to dial it in and the thumb wheel is really nice for that.

I think for the intended customer having less buttons is better and it's going to make the camera cost less to manufacture.

The major questions as others have asked is how good are the sensor/lens and compression.
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #50
Regular Crew

i hope you can fix the shutter speed on these
John Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #51
Inner Circle

With the 35mm adapter, manual focus is important. When you have the adapter on, and your prime lens isn't focus, the HV20 will hunt. So in the middle of a rack focus, if you happen to leave IAF on, it will start searching. Its all workable, but in configuration I shoot the HV20 (upside down), the LCD is on other side of camera, and it gets real confusing--- of course so is focus wheel on HV20.... An independent focus wheel, even the tiny one on the HV20 is better for those purposes.
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #52
Major Player

Don't get me wrong, you can switch to manual focus. It's just that you have to use the joystick to adjust the focus instead of having the little wheel there.
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #53
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Welsh View Post
Yes, just like all other consumer Canon camcorders, there is a Tv (shutter priority) mode plus Exposure lock, so yes you can set a specific shutter speed. Works just like the HV20 and HV30 in this regard.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Thinking about it, that might even be better in terms of adapter, if you can lock it in manual, set it, and forget it, you don't have issue of unintentional bump of the roller...
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #55
Regular Crew

The dial was nice on the HV20/30 because you can adjust focus and not bump around the camcorder.

With the joystick controlling focus, I imagine that unless the camera is locked down on a tripod, if you'll transfer the pushing of the joystick to the image? Also how fine of adjustments can you make vs the dial on the HV20/30?

I wonder if you can control focus with the supplied remote?
Bob C
Bob Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #56
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Welsh View Post
John:

With HV20, in "TV" mode you can set shutter speed. Then turn on exposure and adjust other variables by slider. Unfortunately Camera chooses priority over aperature or gain, but users have been trying to lock out gain using various tricks.

Cine mode is worse in that you have no direct control of either aperature or shutter speed, but there are tricks there too....

I am assuming these new cameras along with HV30 are set up the same.
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #57
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Curnow View Post
I wonder if you can control focus with the supplied remote?
Rec / pause, photo and zoom: yes. Focus: no.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #58
New Boot

HF10 vs. HG10?

How big of a difference is the 1920x1080 (HF10) vs. the 1440x1080 (HG10)? I got the HG10 a week or so ago and could still return it if necessary. My real question is, how is the 1440x1080 that the HG10 outputs manipulated to look good on my 16x9 screen? Is 1440x1080 harder to edit than 1920x1080 b/c the software needs to do various aspect ratio conversions? For example if I want to convert to a 720x480i MPEG-2 file is it harder or easier to go from a 1440x1080 source vs. 1 1920x1080 source?

TIA
Eric Nadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #59
Trustee

I wouldn't return it- there's probably a negligible difference if any....I believe some HD codecs also upscale the 1440 footage up to 1920 anyway.
I think the real question is do these newer cameras improve on the already good quality of the HG10.
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #60
Regular Crew

Some pictures and a short video of the camera from CES http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/08/v...rder-hands-on/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders