HV20 or HV30 which is best value? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 14th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20 or HV30 which is best value?

Sorry if this has already been covered in another thread, I searched but didn't see any similar questions.

Anybody know what the full differences are between the HV20 and HV30?

The HV30 is the latest model, but is it a significant improvement over the HV20? There is not a great deal of price difference between them, but I do recall there were issues when Sony released an update of the FX1 that I believe was actually lower spec than the original, or at the very least missing some useful features? Is the HV30 the same spec as the HV20 but with added features, or has anything been lost in the new model?

I need the camera as additional shooting cmaera to compliment my A1 and as a capture deck for HD footage shot on the A1.
John Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #2
Major Player

If the $200 price difference I'm seeing is about average, then the HV20 is most definitely the best value in my opinion. And I mean that in general, not just compared to the HV30.

Now if you *must* have 30P, well your choices narrow :)
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey John,

I looked for an HV20 and couldnt find one so i settled for the HV30. I dont know much about it yet, but it was only 100.00 more then the HV20. Ill keep you posted as I laearn more about the camera. I currently use a CAnon GL2 and love the quality i get from that. I am shooting only in Standard Def right now as all my training footage is viewed on a computer.

I do like the fact that i can shoot a DV on my Canon GL2 and play it in my HV 30.

I DO NOT like the fact that the HV 30 nor the HV20 have a complete manual control. I like to control both the Aperture and the Shutter speed.

Good luck..let us know what you come up with...
David Ruhland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Circuit city has the HV30 for 849 on their web site, that gets the prices pretty close
Jon French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I also thought the HV20 would be a good deal.

When the hv30 came out, I saw it shortly for 650$ (at a real dealer, not at a bait-and-switch crook).

But many people saw that, and the prices have risen, and there is almost no difference between hv20 and hv30.

The only shop where you can find this difference is B&H, and I'm sorry for that, as I usually buy there.

Meanwhile I found out about the beauty of 30p and will settle for a hv30.

And it's much prettier too, wearing all black...
Sean James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It's never enough to remind everyone how terrible the bait-and-switch outfits have gotten. Missing components, no factory warranties, no returns or exchanges, no contact, hateful and abusive temperments, and frequent pizza charges on your credit card. Always google for feedback on any online company you're dealing with.
Mike Thomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Inner Circle

For NTSC mode, 30p is a huge plus. That alonne is already worth the upgrade. Then the LCD screen also improve alot over HV20 with wider viewing angle. Last will be the sexy black body.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I recently sold my HV20 and bought the HV30. It wasn't that I needed anything on the HV30 per say, but I had a close friend with a $500 budget that wanted to get into video, and it was worth it to me to help him. So I ponied up another $300 for the HV30.

Honestly, had this situation not come up, I would have been perfectly happy keeping the HV20, best camcorder I have ever owned. But if starting out from scratch right now I would probably choose the HV30, simply because it can be found new at legit dealers for right around $800, barely $100 - $150 more than the HV20 in most cases. 30p is a nice tool to have, and together with the improved LCD screen make it worth the extra in my opinion.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lewis View Post
Anybody know what the full differences are between the HV20 and HV30?
There are only six differences:

1. The HV30 adds 30p to the list of available frame rates (24p and 60i).

2. The zoom rocker toggle is larger than the one on the HV20.

3. The LCD screen is brighter with a better viewing angle than the HV20.

4. The HV30 will fully charge the high-capacity battery in one cycle.

5. The Advanced Accessory Shoe cover is tethered to the camera.

6. The body color is black; the HV20 was silver.

That's it. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alexander View Post
I recently sold my HV20 and bought the HV30. It wasn't that I needed anything on the HV30 per say, but I had a close friend with a $500 budget that wanted to get into video, and it was worth it to me to help him. So I ponied up another $300 for the HV30.

Honestly, had this situation not come up, I would have been perfectly happy keeping the HV20, best camcorder I have ever owned. But if starting out from scratch right now I would probably choose the HV30, simply because it can be found new at legit dealers for right around $800, barely $100 - $150 more than the HV20 in most cases. 30p is a nice tool to have, and together with the improved LCD screen make it worth the extra in my opinion.
Actually, the price went up. B&H is about 1000, and amazon 860$. Haven't seen it for 800 yet.
Sean James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:35 AM   #11
Inner Circle

B&H is running the NAB special selling HV30 at $649. It's out of stock now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:02 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean James View Post
Actually, the price went up. B&H is about 1000, and amazon 860$. Haven't seen it for 800 yet.
I bought mine at Butterfly photo a week ago for $814 including shipping. If you check pricegrabber, there's usually a few dealers right around $800. Butterfly was not the cheapest listed at the time, but they were close and the one that I felt most comfortable with going through. Right now Butterfly is listed there as the lowest price, but it went up to $836 shipped. Be patient and you'll find it for $800 or less at a reputable dealer.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders