Capturing HV20 movie only for backup purpose without FCP/Premiere Pro/etc... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing HV20 movie only for backup purpose without FCP/Premiere Pro/etc...

Just for backup purpose(on the road) is it possible to capture HV20 tape not having FCP/ Premiere or any of the editing software available?

It's for a friend of mine which was requested to make some shot and does not have any editing software,he will only shoot and give the tape to an editor.

As a security purpose he will like to back up the work at the end of the day.

He's on a MAC book pro / Tiger / he was asked to shoot HDV(probably not 25f).

Is Imovie enough for this purpose?

Any suggestion?

Last edited by Manuel Fantoni; April 23rd, 2008 at 05:07 AM.
Manuel Fantoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

iMovie does not capture in native HDV. It converts it to Apple Intermediate Codec.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Major Player

DVHSCap works for my XH A1.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't know any tool for Mac, but HDVSplit does it on Windows. If you're interested, here's the link: http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

This is a free tool. It's light-weight and is easy to use. It also splits the scenes nicely for you, and saves them as separate files.
Anil Dasari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #5
New Boot

You can use Quicktime Pro to capture in "Device Native" quality.
Moayad Hassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Daniel gave the answer. For the Mac, DVHS Cap. A free utility in the developer toolkit, if you have trouble locating it, let us know.

I use this to pull ALL my footage off of my HV30 and XHA1, and this is what I will archive, and the clips I want to use, I will transcode them or import them to edit.

It is a very simple software that provides device control as well (Rewind, FF, Stop, Play, Capture, etc..)

This captures a raw .M2T file to your disk. At this point it is not transcoded into any specific codec, it's just the MPEG 2 Transport stream. Later on, you can use the freeware MPEG Streamclip or Quicktime Pro or whatever to encode the .M2T file into the codec of your choice or whatever your editing program requires. These files are also a good way to archive your raw footage, for archival or future usage.

The .M2T files themselves will be smaller file size than if they were encoded to a specific codec. So that's the best, easiest, fastest, cheapest way to do what you asked about.
Brian Carrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:48 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you very much.

I'll pass the information and i'll try myself
Manuel Fantoni is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders