Canon HF100, and HV-100 archiving with Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 1st, 2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon HF100, and HV-100 archiving with Mac

Love the camera, and so far, editing on the Mac in FCP has been fine. I also purchased Canon's DVD archiving unit, the HV-100, and have dutifully archived my footage to AVCHD's. Canon, however, tells me that Mac can't access those AVCHD files until Apple gets off it's rear end, and starts supporting Blu-Ray. I supposed I could go third party with Toast and/or Adobe's Encore but am reluctant to borrow the hassles not to mention the cost.

So, is there ANY way of reading an AVCHD disk on a mac?

One approach might be to put the disk back into the HV-100, set it to "Play," and connect it to a Mac via a USB "A" to "A" cable, if such a beastie exists. Hopefully, just as a SDHC chip's files can be accessed either while in a HF-100 or in a card reader attached to a Mac through the USB port, so too the AVCHD disk would appear on the desktop if the HV-100 was properly connected through the port.

Thanks in advance.
Jim Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Trustee

How are you editing the clips on a Mac? My buddy brought one over and we couldn't get the clips to play or import- what's the Mac workflow for users of FCP?
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez View Post
How are you editing the clips on a Mac? My buddy brought one over and we couldn't get the clips to play or import- what's the Mac workflow for users of FCP?
On Final Cut Express, it is "Log And Transfer". I'm sure there's a logical reason for it, but I think they could have made a better choice.

But you need FCE 4, Final Cut Studio 2 or iMovie '08. Older versions won't support it.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just use the log and transfer function in the most recent version of Final Cut Pro; it works by transcoding the clip to a (much) larger version using ProRes or AIC. I assume iMovie works the same way.
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Babcock View Post
Just use the log and transfer function in the most recent version of Final Cut Pro; it works by transcoding the clip to a (much) larger version using ProRes or AIC. I assume iMovie works the same way.
How long does this take? Real-time, or faster (or slower).
I'd also love to know what file type the AVCHD is converted to.
Thanks, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hmm, using an Intel MacBook Pro (it's got to be an Intel based Mac) it's about real time for the transfer. It works for both the camera hooked up to USB port as well as a card reader with the SDHC chip plugged in. At least I remember it being about real time as I left it to do it on it's own.

I convert to ProRes and you've go to pay attention to EXACTLY which codec you use if you want to mix footage with, in my case, HDV footage recorded simultaneously. Though clips with different codecs play nice on the timeline, they have to have the same codec/dimensions to make Multiclips. This means, after I capture the HDV footage, I have to Batch Export it to the exact ProRes codec as the AVCHD stuff.

It sounds like archived AVCHD disks are going to be for play only until Apple gets off its keester and offers Blu-Ray. Too bad, for a platform that pitches itself to content CREATORS that they are emphasizing content CONSUMERS through their iTunes Movie downloads store.
Old May 4th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Double Hmmmm. Though what I said about Multiclips is true, it turns out two 17.5 MBps clips choke my venerable G5. A single stream works fine but two or more streams stutters no matter what I set my sequence prefs to. I'm experimenting with down rezzing the ProRes to HDV to run Multiclips.

More later
Jim Babcock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders