mixed frame rates on HDV tape... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 19th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

mixed frame rates on HDV tape...

hey everyone,

Okay, so I just started shooting with my HV30, I love it so far, but I had a quick question about mixing frame rates on HDV tape. I know it can be done, but is it reccomended? example: I shot some 60i footage of a birthday party over the weekend, now I'd like to shoot 24p and 30p footage to see how those look, can I record these frame rates on the same tape that I shot the 60i footage consecutively??

As far as capturing goes, I am using FCP 5...no open timeline, so I assume I need to set up seperate projects to capture the footage with different frame rates??
I'm new to HDV so any clarification would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

~brendan
Brendan Donohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Everything you record to tape is actually a 60i stream so you won't have any issue recording different frame rates.
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Major Player

You can film them all in the same tape, but you would need to know which one is which because they all are written down as 60i. Some people put two fingers in front of the lens at the beginning of each PF24 recording, one finger in front of the lens for 30p recording, and nothing for 60i. This way they can easily recognize them on post.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

great suggestion Eugenia! and thanks for clarifying Wes.
Brendan Donohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #5
New Boot

Eugenia,

I still don't understand why it makes a difference? Just for capturing to computer? If so, why would the capture software care? Wouldn't it be able to tell? Do the clips need to be captured separately?
Matt Krump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

This may be slightly off topic, but as far as recording to tape goes, is it a bad idea to reuse the same HDV tape after capturing? Example, I fill up a tape with film footage and capture it. After, should I reuse the tape, or will it dull the quality?

Scott
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #7
Major Player

>If so, why would the capture software care?

The "capture" software doesn't care, but the editor does.

>Wouldn't it be able to tell?

No, it wouldn't. Vegas for example can't tell the difference between PF24, 30p and 60i from the HV20/30 cameras. And other editors must be explicitly told that this or that clip is one format or the other in order to use their built-in support for e.g. pulldown removal (e.g. After Effects).
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hamilton View Post
This may be slightly off topic, but as far as recording to tape goes, is it a bad idea to reuse the same HDV tape after capturing? Example, I fill up a tape with film footage and capture it. After, should I reuse the tape, or will it dull the quality?

Scott
Since you're only recording 1s and 0s the quality won't change. What will change is susceptibility to dropouts, errors or transport malfunctions. Every pass of the tape over the heads wears some of the magnetic particles off and stresses the tape. Constant reuse will make the tape less reliable. You might be able to get away with 2-3 uses, but with tape as cheap as it is and the consequences of problems as large as they are, why risk it? Shoot it, capture it, store it. That's the best advice I can give you.
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Cool, good to know. Thanks man,

Scott
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Krump View Post
Eugenia,

I still don't understand why it makes a difference? Just for capturing to computer? If so, why would the capture software care? Wouldn't it be able to tell? Do the clips need to be captured separately?
When the data is coming off the camera....
60i
30p
24p ....They all look the same to the computer. They all look like 60i. Because HDV is really based around 60i.

In 60i you see a 30 frames per second. But each frame is made up from two interlaced fields. Each field comes from a different moment in time. If stuff is moving you see "mouse teeth"

In 30p you get exactly the same thing, but the two fields come from the same moment in time. No mouse teeth here.

With 24p - you have to run a reverse-telecine process to take the 60i container and extract those 24p frames.
Glyn Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn Williams View Post
With 24p - you have to run a reverse-telecine process to take the 60i container and extract those 24p frames.
You make it sound so easy!!

Scott
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders