HF100 Macro Capabilities at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 20th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #1
Tourist

HF100 Macro Capabilities

So, I've had the HF100 just over a week now and on Sunday I finally got a chance to play with it outdoors in good light. The ability to focus so close with this camera is VERY exciting. I don't remember if the HV20 was able to focus this close - but I know a lot of other camcorders I've used in the past really struggled if you tried to focus so close (or so it seemed).

Here is a link to some sample macro footage (with some random cat footage stuck on the end - not my cat). It isn't the best footage as I was just getting a feel for the close focus capabilities - but it does a good job showcasing how well it does in a macro situation. Note the little white bugs crawling on the leaf. :)

http://www.vimeo.com/1041052

Also - attached is a 100% still image crop where I was literally pressing the front of the camera up to my laptop screen - and it had no problems getting focus. Very cool!

Enjoy!

Dustin Wilkins
Attached Thumbnails
HF100 Macro Capabilities-hf100_macro.png  
Dustin Wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Trustee

I think the more we use these new cams, the more we will enjoy them. Here is a link to the first project I did with my HF100.

http://www.vimeo.com/926994

I think yours is going to get me out trying some macro. That insect on the leaf is something else.

And your cat sure is colored nice. I'm a dog person myself but I do respect and get along good with cats. Yours is "purty".
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Tourist

Bruce,

I agree... I seem to have a stronger desire to use this camera than I did when I had the HV20 back last year. For me, there are a few reasons for this. First, it is quite a bit smaller and easier to take with me, and I also feel it is easier to hold and use. Second, the tape-less format is already making me forget that AVCHD can be a little more complicated to work with. Being able to drop my SDHC card in a reader and copy the files across as fast as the reader and computer will allow is magical. Not having to do real-time captures is so nice! With that said, I really did/do like the HV20 - I am already liking this a lot better though.

I enjoyed your linked project - good stuff (looked great too)!

I am headed up to the mountains for Memorial Day weekend, so I plan on getting some more macro and nature footage this weekend. There is plenty of stuff up there to keep me occupied.

Regarding the cat - I am also more of a dog person (but we don't have any). This cat is actually my mother-in-law's cat. The detail and color of the cat that was captured was enough for me to drop those clips on to the end - I was really impressed.

Photography is still my #1 hobby - but having a camcorder this capable and usable will make it tough to decide which device to pick up and use. :)

Dustin
Dustin Wilkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders