HV30, 24p mode... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 28th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Sample File Comparing Before & After Reverse Telecine

I am not a professional and I take videos and make movies as a hobby but I found this thread very interesting so I decided to post a sample reverse telecine test I have done a few months ago using JES-Deinterlacer. At that time I was very interested in making 24p movies and downloaded the JES-Deinterlacer for that purpose. After some experimentation I decided that reverse telecine of an HDV file from HV20 is very time-consuming (at least for my purpose as a hobby) and since then switched to taking 60i videos and deinterlacing to 30p with another free software, MPEG-Streamclip.

To add to the above discussion, I believe HV20 does the 3:2 (or 2:3) pulldown in the manner it is described elsewhere on the web. (Just do a web-search using keywords 'telecine' or '3:2 pulldown'). This is very apparent when you deinterlace the HV20 video using JES-deinterlacer. You can see the 3:2 pattern when you compare the before and after clips. Attached is a sample jpg image I created after JES-deinterlacing one of my HV20 clips taken in 24p mode. Left column shows the frames from the original clip which shows 3 progressive frames followed by 2 pulleddown interlaced frames. In comparison, the right column shows 4 corresponding progressive frames extracted by JES-deinterlacer with reverse telecine option. I hope this helps.

P.

Last edited by Pedanes Bol; May 28th, 2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Edit 1: Attaching the jpg image failed. I am trying again.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #17
Regular Crew

JPG Image Uploaded

Finally was able to upload the jpg image file.
Attached Thumbnails
HV30, 24p mode...-rt-frames-1-4.jpg  
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks Pedanes - I stand corrected.
Scott, I just ran HDV from a HV20 through QuickTime Pro and it frame dropped to 23.98 Pro-Res with terrible results. It looks as if it frame dropped interlaced video. So QuickTime Pro is not a viable option and as before, your footage must be processed:

Options:
1) Buy Final Cut Studio and use reverse telecine in Compressor
2) Buy AE and Interpret footage (this is my favorite)
3) Use MPEG-Streamclip, JES, Cineform, ect.
4) Shoot on another camera which allows 24p Advanced (NLE detectable).

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Wow, thanks for all of the help guys. It seems as if my best option now is to go with JES... once I get going with the HV30 and am ready to convert, I may have a few more questions. Thanks again!

Scott
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #20
Major Player

well if you have final cut pro, there is a 1080i 24p mode. don't have a canon, but thinking about it, since it might not be too big of a bear to mix hv30 with a jvc hd110 as my main camera. So has anyone done 24p/f with canon on FCP?
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #21
Major Player

Just get a European HV30 - 25p - no pull down, no interlacing, no messing around converting.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Can you make dvd's that will play on ntcs players?
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #23
New Boot

Compressor is good because you can drag a whole batch of files into it. Apply the reverse telecine - and press submit.

Glyn
Glyn Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders