Small gig recording with the HF10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 29th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Small gig recording with the HF10

Hi Guys.
Ive been waiting a couple of weeks to get my account sorted so i can post and now i can
Ive had my HF10 for a few weeks now and although ive not used it much im very happy with it.

I have a question for everyone but more so to Michael Eskin.
I play in a couple of bands and would like to get some video shot of us on stage. Nothing major, just social clubs. not great lighting on the band either.
i will need to give my HF10 to someone to use so ill need to set ti up before hand. I cant do it at the sound check because we dont get one and also the lighting will be different.
So, any tips on what to use? Im thinking Cinema mode, 50i 9its a PAL version) with the exposure backed off slightly to help with the highlights but this is only based on what i think might work.
Its really only to go on youtube and Vimeo and only really a test to see what can be achieved.

Thanks for any tips.

Dave.
Dave Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi!

For music, I highly recommend the accessory DM100 microphone if you can justify the expense.

For starters, I'd try using Spotlight mode first and see if it looks OK, if that's too dark, then you can either use Cinemode or Program mode with manual exposure adjust to reduce the gain. On the PAL cameras, is there a 25p mode? That will also improve your low light as well, particularly if you can combine it with a 1/25th shutter speed.

Please feel free to contact me directly via private message.

Cheers,

Michael
Michael Eskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks michael.
Yes, i do have 25P mode. I was thinking of using the spotlight mode but it might be a bit dark on the stage. We dont have any spot lights of our own so it depends what the venue have on the night but as its a social club it wont be anything too bright.
Im away with my other band this weekend and will take my HF10 with me. although i wont be able to shoot us on stage i might get a better feel for low light shooting. I will try 25P mode as well as Cinema mode.
Ive not been too impressed with 25p and cinema mode so far but then i havent really had a use for the two combined. I do like cinema mode though.

Could you explain the reason 1/25 combined with 25p would be a good idea?

I have a Sony ECM 909 mic that i use with my MD recorder so might try that if i can find a way to attatch it to the HF10. Otherwise ill just use the internal mics this time. Its nice ot have a cam with manual level control on it but as it will probably be a mates girlfriend doing the shooting and she wont have had any experience with this cam i would like to set it up as much as i can before hand. We will be doing three sets so i can make adjustments in between.

Thanks again. Ill have a few more questions but might wait untill i can try some stuff out this weekend.

Dave.
Dave Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The reason for 1/25th at 25p is to get as much light on the sensor as possible as to reduce the need for gain, however the tradeoff is more motion blur, of course. Best thing to do is just try different settings based on what you've learned and document the settings that work best. Particularly when it comes to the special modes, like Spotlight, they aren't specifically documented by Canon, and can be useful once one understands exactly what they do with shutter speed, aperture, gain, and white balance.
Michael Eskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Michael.

One thing that bugs me with the HF cams is that there seems to be no way of getting shooting info from the files.
Unless i do write it down or remember the settings it makes it hard to pick the best ones for the job next time.
Guess its down to trial and error.

Dave.
Dave Pearce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders