Questions before purchasing Canon HF100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 6th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Tourist

Questions before purchasing Canon HF100

I hope that this would be the correct forum since it's an AVCHD camera. I've decided on the HF100, but I had some questions before I end up placing an order for it. I'm new to camcorder stuff, but not basic video editing.

The Canon HF100 uses SDHC cards, so this means that the cards can be put into a card reader and transferred onto your computer. I noticed that the HF100 has a USB connection, so will that really be all that I need to transfer the video to my PC? I don't have a card reader. I'm also wondering how long it'd take to transfer video to the PC considering that USB isn't that fast.

I'm a piano/music teacher and I plan on uploading my recorded lessons to the web. Is it fairly safe to assume that taking the raw files and encoding them to a much smaller web file (like wmv or something) is easy enough? I'm also thinking that the conversion process would be much faster if I used a lower resolution/quality setting on the camera since the video would be compressed to a much, much smaller file and quality.

I've got an intel quadcore q6700 cpu with 8GB ram on Vista 64bit, so I don't think that editing the video would be that much of a problem. The only thing that might set me back is the support for AVCHD video in particular software. I'm used to using Adobe Premiere, but I also have no trouble using Vegas or anything else that would be thrown at my way.
Beth Kurzweil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Beth, welcome to DV Info Net.

I strongly urge you to keep the camera settings at the best image quality. I don't think it's going to impact the conversion time all that much, and in the long run you'll be much better off by having the best possible quality settings to begin with.

An SDHC card can be inserted into a card reader for faster transfer into your computer. The USB connection on the camcorder is the faster USB2.0 version, but a card reader will most likely be faster anyway. Just make sure that the card reader is capable of recognizing the SDHC format (older or cheaper SD card readers won't recognize SDHC). The good news is that an SDHC card reader is relatively inexpensive; less than $20 and worth its weight in gold. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Chris.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820223073

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820300608

I'm thinking of going with the latter (the Sabrent). I take it that transferring using the card directly with a card reader would be much faster from what you say.

I think I'll most likely pick one up just in case since it's only $15 or so. I can run a comparison test and see which one transfers faster.

I was trying to avoid getting new hardware and to start using a card reader, but I think I might as well since it's a bit cheap anyway =)

Thanks for your help.
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Beth, at those prices you really can't go wrong. In my opinion there's no reason not to have one.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #5
New Boot

I've got an intel quadcore q6700 cpu with 8GB ram on Vista 64bit, so I don't think that editing the video would be that much of a problem. The only thing that might set me back is the support for AVCHD video in particular software. I'm used to using Adobe Premiere, but I also have no trouble using Vegas or anything else that would be thrown at my way.[/QUOTE]

I have read somewhere , not sure could've been on NewEgg reviews, that the software that comes with HF100 is not compatible with Vista64bit. I don't think it is necessary for editing or conversion, but it comes with the codecs for playback on the computer. May be some one with Vista64bit can chime in.
Jake Palsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 02:10 AM   #6
Trustee

Beth,

Neither of those card readers specify that they read SDHC, both mention SD but not SDHC.

I bought 2 SDHC cards at Best Buy that came with a small reader that plugs into a USB port and works fine. One chard was an 8GB SanDisk class4 originally priced at $99.95 but had been opened and was marked down to $61.95. The other was a PNY 4GB class4 on special at $34.95.

While more software packages are coming out with AVCHD support, I use Pinnacle Studio 11 (will likely "pre-order" the version 12 upgrade offer in the next day or so) which edits AVCHD with no transcoding and will also render out to several common formats.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #7
Tourist

I also read that the software that comes with the CanonHF100 does not work on Vista 64bit. I'm going to have to try it out and see what happens, but I'm sure it won't be much of a problem to get some other software; I'm investing lots of time and $ into my music lessons.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820300608

^ this one mentions being compatible with SDHC and Vista, and it's the one that I went for =)

I bought an A-Data 16GB card from Newegg as well that was priced at about $65 w/shipping; it's a class 6, I believe.

About Pinnacle Studio - should this be something that I look into? If not even Vegas can handle AVCHD -- having to transcode in the process, then perhaps I should look into Pinnacle Studio. I'd like to have more of a 'quick' import/edit/export setup and avoid all of the waiting-around.
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Vegas is fine with AVCHD... turn the preview quality down a bit, and it's fine - seems to have some issues if you try to preview at too high a quality, experiment until you find the level that works with your machine..
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #9
Tourist

just bought a canon HF100

Hi i'm new to the forum

I just bought a canon HF100 camcorder and am wondering if anyone can advise about the following issues relating to editing AVCHD files. ?

I knwo there is a lot of debate about what exact computing power you need to edit AVCHD but my question is this - why not just convert the files to something like mpeg or AVI still retaining the full 1920x1080 high defintion ? yes the files will be large but large files in themselves are not usually a problem on a decent PC

i have a Toshiba laptop with a Core2 Duo 1.5Ghz processor, 2GB of ram and an ATI 2600 HD graphics card

I knwo this computer can play HD movies as it came with a HD-DVD drive and top end graphics card

Furthermore i have been able to edit video quite easily at 'HD ready' levels of 1280x720p (ie. 1 megapixel video) using AVI and Mpeg files without any strain on this machine. So why should Full HD files (at 2 megapixel video) cause a major problem ?

Any virews or comments or suggestions as to how to deal with the AVCHD format conundrum ?

Daniel
Daniel Billinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Billinton View Post
my question is this - why not just convert the files to something like mpeg or AVI still retaining the full 1920x1080 high defintion ? yes the files will be large but large files in themselves are not usually a problem on a decent PC

i have a Toshiba laptop with a Core2 Duo 1.5Ghz processor, 2GB of ram and an ATI 2600 HD graphics card
My laptop is c2duo 2.2GHz and it is not easy to fast edit AVCHD,but possible.

I found on this board
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=AVCHD+UpShift

and after trial test bought it,really fast upconvert AVCHD to high bitrate Mpeg2 and gave you possibility to faster edit on most NLEs.

Pinnacle 11/12 is not good anyway for your processor for native AVCHD editing.Try trials of Vegas 8 pro and CyberLink PowerDirector,second one is fast with native AVCHD files on my 2.2GHz laptop,but cannot export progressive if you shoot 24p/30p.

Vegas 8 pro can export progressive but cost more.

Btw I have HF10 and program coming with camera is not good on any Vista after program online update.
Sinisa Jovanovic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders