Canon HF10 Workflow Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon HF10 Workflow Question

I've been out of the loop for a while with digital production. My old workflow was:

1. Acquire with Sony HDR-HC1 (HDV).
2. Capture with Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.1, using Cineform Aspect HD v.4.
3. Edit with an Athlon x2 4800+ and RAID 0.
4. Author to HD DVD with Ulead MovieStudio 5+.

This worked well and I created a lot of material on regular DVD recordables. Last week, I got a Canon HF10. Love it's size, weight and SDHC card convenience. But I need a new workflow.

I want to stay with Premiere. I know it well and it's been very reliable. I'm upgrading to PP CS3. I've used the trial and feel comfortable with it. Not a hard transition from PP 1.5.1.

Here's part of a workflow that I'd like to get some feedback on:

1. Acquire with Canon HF10 (AVCHD).
2. Transfer AVCHD files straight to a Core2Duo 3GHZ/RAID 0 system. (Concatenate files into one large MTS file with a handy little utility I found here today. It joins <2GB AVCHD files into one large file, without audio or video glitches.)
3. Edit with Adobe Premiere CS3 and Cineform Prospect HD (10 bit, full 1920x1080).
4. Author using Premiere CS3 (or perhaps MovieFactory) to Blu-ray disc (and to regular DVD recordables as AVCHD).

Some questions about the workflow:

1. Is anyone here working with a similar workflow and if so, is there anything I should be aware of that will create problems?
2. Can Premiere output Blu-ray compliant H.264 files in this scenario or must they be rendered out as MPEG2 (thus increasing size)?
3. Are there any alternative PC programs that would make for a better workflow?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Joseph Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:17 PM   #2
New Boot

Alternative PC Programs

I'd recommend Vegas Pro. It's a great program and it can work with the RAW mts files w/o having to decompress them. Though, for some they can't deal with the lack of fluidity in previews (due to the raw power AVC requires to playback) there are benefits though you can create a movie or clip very quickly this way.

Alternative:
Look into Voltaic HD (google it) they make a PC and MAC version of this software. It will take the raw MTS files (pulled directly off the flash drive) and decompress them to AVI or WMV (for PC) and then you could use any NLE to edit the footage, in your case Premiere.
Angelo Alberico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestions. Voltaic sounds interesting. I'll check it out.
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo Alberico View Post
I'd recommend Vegas Pro. It's a great program and it can work with the RAW mts files w/o having to decompress them.
Premiere can edit HDV natively and yet Joseph uses Aspect HD. For some, there are compelling reasons to do it this way. Given that he is already familiar with Premiere, and given that he is fine with Cineform in his workflow, I'm guessing that Premiere and Cineform will be a better option for him with AVCHD.

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, I want to stay with Premiere and Cineform. It's been a very smooth combo for me in the past.
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I've been a Premiere user for... Hell, five years now... But I'm going to give Vegas a whirl when I make the switch over to the HF100. Frankly I'm kind of upset that Adobe still hasn't released a patch to support AVCHD after all this time.
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Duffy View Post
I've been a Premiere user for... Hell, five years now... But I'm going to give Vegas a whirl when I make the switch over to the HF100. Frankly I'm kind of upset that Adobe still hasn't released a patch to support AVCHD after all this time.
Fair enough, but it's noteworthy that an Adobe patch would likely not affect Joseph's workflow. Adobe has already released a patch for HDV and he (nor I nor many other Cineform users) use that patch either. Though not for everyone, there are compelling reasons why we prefer the CFHD codec.

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The Cineform intermediate makes for a smooth editing experience - very fluid scrubbing and playback. My main concerns are exporting to MPEG4 and authoring to Blu-ray once I'm finished editing.
Joseph Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders