HV30 + Brevis - First Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 11th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #1
Major Player

HV30 + Brevis - First Footage

Received my HV30 today and quickly shot some footage with it and the Brevis35.

http://www.vimeo.com/1154024

I'm absolutely blown away by this little camera - especially combined with the Brevis.

The other day I shot some footage with my Canon XH-A1+Brevis combo (http://www.vimeo.com/1122630) and I'm hard pressed to tell the difference. Quite amazing.

I did get caught out with how much you need to zoom in, hence the cropping.

My wife Katie kindly helped me out again :)

Lens used: Nikon 50mm 1.8

Let me know your thoughts/comments/critique.
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Beautiful footage, beautiful woman. Really hard to tell the difference. Maybe you would like to post the unedited footage for both cams? How much u need to zoom? Thanks.
Kenny Shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey Kenny,

You need to zoom in a bit more than you first think - mainly because the HV30 doesn't display all of the picture in the viewfinder :(

Not sure why this is - maybe someone on here with more experience can help me out ...
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Matt,

Great stuff man!

How is the Brevis to setup with the HV30 (step up ring?)? Is it easier/harder than on your XHA1? Did you get the flip mode version? (Real convenient that your wife is a photographer and have those Nikon lenses :)

BTW, finally sent in my computer to a professional so they can properly install the new vid card I bought (prolly bought the wrong one anyway); hope to get it working soon so I can play around with Magic Bullet!

Best,
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey Jeff,

It did take me a little longer to setup with the HV30 - nothing to do with the step up ring though. It's not really harder than the A1 just a bit fiddlier with the smaller camera. Probably took about 10 to 15 minutes first time with the HV30 - that included changing the imaging element as well. That time will come down with practice I'm sure.

My preference at this stage is probably the HV30 - mainly for reasons of portability. It's much easier to go handheld/run and gun with the HV30 compared with the A1.

Yep, I got the flip module.

Cheers,

Matthew.
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer View Post
My preference at this stage is probably the HV30 - mainly for reasons of portability. It's much easier to go handheld/run and gun with the HV30 compared with the A1.

And that's really why we're getting the HV30 (and really not because of the oh-so-beautiful images it produces :) it's because of its smaller form factor. The XL2 is a great cam, and easily impresses most people when we take it out in the field. But on certain occasions where being incognito is preferred, a smaller cam is more practical (and would add years to my aching shoulder :).

Best,
Old June 13th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Jeff,

Yeah ... just make sure you're using the HV30 on a tripod or something. Like with any small handycam it's not going to be that great for most handheld stuff.

Handheld with the Brevis is ok because together they're much bigger and there's more to hold onto etc ...
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Awesome footage! The cleanest one I've seen with an adapter!

What is your rig's setup?

What were the settings when you shot it with the Brevis?

Thanks!
John Palaganas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Palaganas View Post
Awesome footage! The cleanest one I've seen with an adapter!

What is your rig's setup?

What were the settings when you shot it with the Brevis?

Thanks!
Thanks John! You should check out some of Philip Bloom's work - he is the man!

The setup was the HV30, Brevis + Flip - all on the Brevis rails. Settings were TV mode, 50i and I let the camera take care of the exposure.

It's such a cool setup - I can't get enough of it! :)

Cheers,

Matthew.
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer View Post
Thanks John! You should check out some of Philip Bloom's work - he is the man!

The setup was the HV30, Brevis + Flip - all on the Brevis rails. Settings were TV mode, 50i and I let the camera take care of the exposure.

It's such a cool setup - I can't get enough of it! :)

Cheers,

Matthew.
Yes I've seen Bloom's work with his EX1+Letus but something strikes me about your footage, its full of details! we can see your wife's freckles!(could it be the export you did has less compression?) and also it could be because you are a better colorist than him. Your work looks very cinematic!
John Palaganas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #11
Major Player

Hey Matt, just wondering... you have 2 imaging elements for your brevis? the cf-1 and the cf-1L? are you able to use either of them with BOTH cameras? or is there a massive difference between the two?

thanks.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schuurman View Post
Hey Matt, just wondering... you have 2 imaging elements for your brevis? the cf-1 and the cf-1L? are you able to use either of them with BOTH cameras? or is there a massive difference between the two?

thanks.
Hey David,

Yes, I have both those imaging elements. There is a big difference between the two so you need to swap them out depending on which camera you want to use.

Hope that helps.
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #13
Major Player

Yes thank you so much, I'm looking at getting a brevis and I have the HV30 but also shoot with larger cams.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
David Schuurman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders