A Lots Of Questions - Vixia Hf-11, Final Cut... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 6th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A Lots Of Questions - Vixia Hf-11, Final Cut...

Hello. I already have and HDV sony camera, but i gonna travel and i'll like to record some images, so i will buy an good and small videocamera.. After search, i think i will buy the CANON VIXIA HF-11...(a month ago, i would pick up an HV30, but tapeless option its more interesting..) As i read, its the best image quality on avchd, right???

Ok, i have a few questions: I have an MACBOOK PRO 2.4GHz (latest model line) and final cut pro... I have no problems to edit on HDV and DVCPRO HD... BUT, i have questions about the AVCHD format... I know the quality is very good...

Questions:
1: I will record always in progressive mode... 30p oe 24p.. and edit on Fina cut.. I would like to know how i transfer the video data for macbook pro (isnt firewire i think...) It will be USB?? The final cut work well with this format??? If FCP didnt handle with the format, how can i send to software with minimal lossy quality??

2: Is AVHCD a 4:2:2 format?? between HDV and AVCHD which is better???

3: I think i will buy the dw 100 dvd avchd burn to go to the travel and transfer the videos to dvd-rw so i can re-use the 32 GB internal memory.. it is a good option??

Thank You :)
Marcelo Lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #2
New Boot

Here is the workflow I use to capture with my MacBook Pro and HF10

I purchased a couple of 16GB SDHC cards for use with the camera. In additional I bought an SD card reader for the ExpressCard slot in my MacBook Pro as part of the effort.

I try to use the flash cards for storage when recording first but when they are full I use the internal storage in the camera. I then take the SD cards and slip them one at a time into the slot in the ExpressCard adapter in the laptop and make a DMG file of the card contents using Disk Utility. I name the file with the description of the content and the recording date. If I've used the internal storage, I copy those contents to a card that I've just cleared into the laptop and then can move that content into the laptop the same way. It gives me a very fast transfer to get the content off the media, and I have something that is easy to archive and keep track of.

With that done I have a set of large DMG files that are sort of like having tapes that I'm going to import the video off of for editing. I can keep those online and mount them quickly and easily whenever I need to retrieve some video segments in the future.

With the DMG file on the desktop on the MacBook Pro, I launch FCP and import the content using Log and Transfer. It works great.
Don Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I decided to buy a HG21 with 120GB of hard disk.. I will get the camera in a 20 days...

If as you said i make an dmg image, i can IMPORT the files on final cut? I got and m2tx file on web but i couldnt import on FCP...

thanks..
Marcelo Lima is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders