Hands on the new Canon HF11 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #46
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob O'Day View Post
Hi,

Well, I'm still waiting for my one to arrive, seems Canon have been very slow at getting them out across the UK :(
But to answer your question, yep you'll be able to hook it up.

I got my HF11. It's way better than I expected! Took a little while to get used to because
of its small size.

At USD$789, it's a really great little HD camcorder!

The picture quality is just as good, sometimes better, than my old Canon HV20 HDV camcorder.
Just bought a 37mm-to-43mm stpe up ring, now all my HV20's lenses/filters can be used on
the HF11 as well! :)
Henry Corrilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #47
Regular Crew

My one arrived last week :)

I decided to keep it, as the pro's far outweigh the cons of the HV20/30.
And like you I bought one of those little rings but so I could use my mighty brevis and all my Nikon lenses :D
Rob O'Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #48
Major Player

I too made the exodus from HDV using the Canon HV20 to AVCHD with the HF100. Owning and using an HF100 is convincing proof as far as I am concerned. I find it to be in a whole new league compared to the HDV predecessor.

I've never owned or used the newer HV30, but the HF100 is clearly superior to the HV20.

The step up ring makes re-use of the HV20 lens convertors and accesories very affordable for the HF100. And the larger 43mm Canon WD43H wide angle converter just does a wonderful job edge to edge when used on the smaller 37mm HF100.

I've never looked back. With the right CPU and software, AVCHD workflow is light-years better IMHO.

Larry
Larry Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:19 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Would you all concur that this camera is good enough for shooting Wedding videos?
Mark Cinense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:04 AM   #50
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cinense View Post
Would you all concur that this camera is good enough for shooting Wedding videos?
As good as this little camera is, let's not get carried away. It's still a consumer camera.
A wedding video is a commercial professional exercise and therefore needs a camera/cameras with full manual control and easy accessibility to those controls.
You might be able to use it as a B camera maybe, but no way should it be relied upon as a main camera.
As for the AVCHD format, that's a different matter. It's an exciting format - one wonders how much further it will be improved in the near future...
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM   #51
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Asso View Post
don't worry about quality...hf100/11 are equal or better than hdv...

look for example at my footage since i'm testing my hf100:
-> [Canon HF10/100 AVCHD] Topic Ufficiale - Videomakers.net

ciao!
Very interesting to see my HF100 has travelled halfway around the world.

At least my picture of my cam has.

I don't mind, tho, especially since I didn't mark it (with copyright notice) in any way. The photo you used was shot on the Chadbourne Ranch just off the grounds of Fort Chadbourne (one of the old Texas frontier forts). I was waiting for the Fort Chadbourne Cavalry (a living history unit) to meet me there so I could get some footage of them out and away from any sign of civilization. So I shot a picture of my camera on tripod to use in another presentation.

I had posted it on somewhere on this forum to show the LCD hood (from CineTactics.com) and the Hama rectangular lens hood I've found useful.

You are welcome to continue using it, I was just surprised to follow your link and find a photo I had shot on an Italian forum.

Ciao,

Bruce Foreman

P.S. Looks like we are both "fans" of a great little cam. I sure enjoy using mine.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:50 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Hi guys,
I have a hv20, looking to upgrade (hopefully it's an upgrade) to the HF11 or HG21 for the 1920x1080 30p.

For the project I have in mind, I'm going to have to have the lcd folded in (closed) when recording. Can the HF11 record video with the lcd folded in, or does it shut off? It doesn't have a viewfinder, right?

If not, I'll get the HG21 that has the viewfinder.

Thanks,
Bob C
Bob Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #53
Regular Crew

The HF11 has no viewfinder.

Get the HG21 (but not the HG20 that has no viewfinder too).
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Hi,
I know that the HF11 has no viewfinder. Can it record video with the lcd in the closed position?

Thanks,
Bob C
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Sorry, I've misunderstood your question.

When you close the LCD, the HF11 enters in stand-by mode (even if it was in recording mode).
When you re-open the LCD screen, the HF11 goes back in ready mode and you need to push again the record button to go back to the recording mode.

So, to solve your problem, I think that you will get a HG21...
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Curnow View Post
Hi,
I know that the HF11 has no viewfinder. Can it record video with the lcd in the closed position?

Thanks,
Bob C
Yes it can, just rotate the LCD as in the attached. The attached is a HF10 but this applies towards HF11 as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Hands on the new Canon HF11-hf10-lcd.jpg   Hands on the new Canon HF11-hf10-lcd1.jpg  

Old December 4th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Hey that will work... why didn't I think of that?

Thanks Bruno and Mugurel.

Bob C
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #58
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Donnet View Post
The HF11 has no viewfinder.

Get the HG21 (but not the HG20 that has no viewfinder too).
I've been using the HG21 for the last few days and I'm really impressed with this puppy! I've been using a Sony SR12 since it came out and I have to admit the HG21 is superior in almost all regards. The addition of the viewfinder was the only reason I ventured back into Canon waters, but I wasn't expecting results quite like this.

I've found the HG21 to have superior detail, sharpness and color accuracy relative to my SR12. Shooting the same scenes, at times the SR12 almost looks like it has a slight haze over it. The degree of transparency of the footage is really amazing. It really seems as if the Canon lens is playing a large part in this. Then again, I had tested the HF10 and wasn't as impressed with that cam as the HG21.

The only area I'd still give an edge to the SR12 is sound quality. The sound is a bit richer & fuller on the SR12. But even with that, I simply can't overlook the superiority of the HG21's image quality. :)
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #59
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I've been using the HG21 for the last few days and I'm really impressed with this puppy! I've been using a Sony SR12 since it came out and I have to admit the HG21 is superior in almost all regards. The addition of the viewfinder was the only reason I ventured back into Canon waters, but I wasn't expecting results quite like this.

I've found the HG21 to have superior detail, sharpness and color accuracy relative to my SR12. Shooting the same scenes, at times the SR12 almost looks like it has a slight haze over it. The degree of transparency of the footage is really amazing. It really seems as if the Canon lens is playing a large part in this. Then again, I had tested the HF10 and wasn't as impressed with that cam as the HG21.

The only area I'd still give an edge to the SR12 is sound quality. The sound is a bit richer & fuller on the SR12. But even with that, I simply can't overlook the superiority of the HG21's image quality. :)
When you first bought your SR 12 i remember you saying the the picture was every bit as good as your hv30,i know reports give the hg21 very good marks but using an SR 12 i find colours good with clear pictures without sign of haze,i think i am right that the hg 21 cannot manual focus as easy as the sony is this correct.Oh for a HC1 shell with its on cam control and pictures up to the hg21 standard,i guess your SR12 will be on its way ? now good luck with the new cam.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #60
Regular Crew

I read elsewhere on the 'net that the HF11/HG20/21 all come with a newer remote than the HV20/30, and it allows manual focus; so it can be done without bumping/vibrating the camcorder!

Bob C
Bob Curnow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders