Tripod for the HV30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 17th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tripod for the HV30

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new tripod to be used with the HV30, and was wanting to get some advice. It will be used for small time film making amongst me and some friends. We've just entered the world of HD with our HV30, and have loved it so far, but our old tripod ($30 from Best Buy) just isn't working anymore. If you'd like an idea of what level of film making we are at, you can check out a trailer for a recent "Batman" film we put out over the summer, YouTube - Batman: Dark Tomorrow Trailer. Oh, and I'm not trying to plug my own material, I just posted the link so you have an idea of what kind of stuff we need the tripod for!

I've been looking at something like this:

Impact | VT2500 Video Tripod | VT2500 | B&H Photo Video

I don't really have any idea how good or bad that one is, but I know it looks better than the one we have. Also, I don't know how "strong" of a tripod we need for something as light as the HV30. Besides weight, what else needs to be taken into consideration? Open for suggestion if anyone has any ideas, or experience with that one!

Scott
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't really know a lot about tripods, but since no one is answering I will try. I have a friend that has this one:

Davis & Sanford | Pro Vista Tripod with FM 18 Head

It costs a little more than the one you posted, but it comes with a spreader with casters on it. Very convenient. I personally use a very cheap Velbon 607 which has a decent fluid head. I don't do pro stuff.
Thomas Barthle Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Go Cycle

Go with a LIBEC for the same price. The knobs are always breaking on the DAVIS model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Barthle Jr. View Post
I don't really know a lot about tripods, but since no one is answering I will try. I have a friend that has this one:

Davis & Sanford | Pro Vista Tripod with FM 18 Head

It costs a little more than the one you posted, but it comes with a spreader with casters on it. Very convenient. I personally use a very cheap Velbon 607 which has a decent fluid head. I don't do pro stuff.
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, both look like great ideas. I'm not too picky about the tripod (don't know enough about them to be), so I'm sure I will pick one of those two. Unless someone has a better idea!

Scott
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders