HV10 HELP (post production) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 18th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #1
New Boot

HV10 HELP (post production)

I filmed a small wedding this past weekend using a HV10 (SD mode). It was more like a favor than a job. The reception was held in a small room with very little space to move. I was practically forced to face a window with light coming through it. Not only that, one of the walls had a big long mirror on it so light was bouncing off of it right into my lens. So now, some of the footage is obviously dark. WHAT, if anything can I do in post production to brighten these parts of the video or make it viewable? I won't be using everything I shot in the final edit but some of that is vital! I have iMovie HD and iMovie 08 at my disposal. Would i need anything else?
Thaddeus Sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Trustee

You're kinda hosed, but you might be able to save it in post. If you have any sort of color correction in i-movie you can drag down the input white value which will brighten it up. You'll need to tweak the gamma a bit and probably boost the color saturation. The down side is that the picture could end up looking a bit artificial or slightly "off". If there's any way you can work in a 10 bit color space you might have better luck but I think your options are limited with the tools you have.

Since it sounds like you shot everything from the same location, you might want to take a scene and play with it to see what you get. There's no real magic bullet solution for you in this one.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders