HV20 Cineform/Blackmagic Feature film in post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 17th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #1
New Boot

HV20 Cineform/Blackmagic Feature film in post

Hey just wanted to finally post some things here after completing my feature film. Half was shot in Korea and the other half was shot in the Chicago area with an HV20 and recording to a PC with Blackmagic/Cineform codec. This was the hardest film I have done yet, but not because of the tech. Vehicle problems, my HV20 LCD went out and I had to buy a replacement HV30 during the shoot. I will be posting the story and the process on my website now that I have got close to finishing the cut. In short, HDMI capture worked great, dropped some frames on maybe 5% of the captures, but nothing that caused me any great trouble.

The Letus adapter I purchased had a way too intense vibration that when using the 24mm lens caused the picture to vibrate and blur. With longer heavier lenses I did not have this problem.

I am editing on Final Cut Studio 2 on a Macbook Pro, and there are problems editing CFHD codec on Final Cut. If you would like to check out clips resized and in the H.264 codec, go to my website [url=http://www.lincolnlogfilms.com]. Go to bottom of God Is D_ad page. I will be posting full rez H.264 clips this week.

My recording tech specs:

Canon HV20/30
Letus Extreme 35mm DOF adapter
Cavision RPMD90
HDMI cables 10 ft./15ft.
HDMI repeater
Zacuto follow focus (rental)
Nikon Nikkor lenses 24mm/50mm/35-100mm zoom
Bogen 510 tripod
Long Valley Equipment Seven Jib (modified)
Long Valley Skateboard dolly/track
Senheiser 416 12T mic
My old heavy boom pole
Sony DCT-8 DAT walkman
Miglia Harmony Audio Firewire interface

Blackmagic Intensity card
Asus ASUS P5B-VMB motherboard
2.6GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2GB RAM
750 GB Seagate SATA system drive
Windows XP SP2
Antec NSK1300 Micro ATX Computer Case w/300W
Lilliput 7" touchscreen monitor
Samsung 40" 1080p directors monitor (sometimes)

Well I hope to contribute all my trials and tribulations here. This site prepared me for the shoot and I got alot of invaluable information here. I am working overseas right now in Seoul, Korea teaching at a university and editing the movie.

Last edited by Abraham Lim; November 17th, 2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: mistype
Abraham Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Question about Letus adapter

Abraham,

Congrats on your project! Two quick questions... were you using the full size Letus adapter or the Mini Letus adapter?

How "unusable" was your footage that you shot with the 24mm lens?

Thanks,
Chad Jones
Chad Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

what was the resolution you captured at

2k, 720p, 1080p?

also with regards to the dropped frames, would it have worked better if you had, say 2 drives in a RAID-0 setup?
David Braund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Lim View Post
my HV20 LCD went out and I had to buy a replacement HV30 during the shoot.
Nearly the same thing happened to me, my HC7 was in San Fran on a faulty tripod with a loose leg that tipped over and broke the mode switch, had to buy a HV30 in LA to continue shooting.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders